Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build powering on, but monitor not picking up signal?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Fans are running fine as soon as I power it on, but nothing is showing on screen. Have used both DVI and HDMI on two different monitors and both have resulted in nothing.

The graphics cards fans are not running, but I'm not sure if that could be a problem? Have made sure it's seated and correctly powered enough times now to rule that out, but the fans not running whilst the rest are seems a bit questionable, although it might be needing to install the drivers first or something like that.

I have quadruple checked the whole build to make sure everything is placed correctly, and there seems to be no issues.

Any ideas? Really don't know what to do here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Fans are running fine as soon as I power it on, but nothing is showing on screen. Have used both DVI and HDMI on two different monitors and both have resulted in nothing.

The graphics cards fans are not running, but I'm not sure if that could be a problem? Have made sure it's seated and correctly powered enough times now to rule that out, but the fans not running whilst the rest are seems a bit questionable, although it might be needing to install the drivers first or something like that.

I have quadruple checked the whole build to make sure everything is placed correctly, and there seems to be no issues.

Any ideas? Really don't know what to do here.

Whats your build spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Whats your build spec?

Core-i5 4590
    XFX R9 280 DD
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
    2TB Barracuda HDD
    MSI H97M-E35
    Corsair VS650
    Bitfenix Prodigy mATX case

Try removing the graphics card and using the integrated graphics on the motherboard

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I have to ask, just in case, but have you connected both power cables to the card?
    OOlttY_xeKYzfLrwvGcgf-eM6EYekwt-VMvjvK6mEot5Q4ewFt6CqqoFs0b6eOfzldhCdzvbUzv8K_qhYTwXWsUwYjt7rCYhqISXGsOlUwHqLTQtOQcQHxsGW1LEQQ=w671-h390-nc

5uspect wrote: »
    I have to ask, just in case, but have you connected both power cables to the card?
    OOlttY_xeKYzfLrwvGcgf-eM6EYekwt-VMvjvK6mEot5Q4ewFt6CqqoFs0b6eOfzldhCdzvbUzv8K_qhYTwXWsUwYjt7rCYhqISXGsOlUwHqLTQtOQcQHxsGW1LEQQ=w671-h390-nc

Yep, fully powered and it's definitely the correct PSU cable as it's labelled as PCI-E on the base. CPU power is also definitely plugged in as is all of them (I've checked enough times).

Will try it without the GPU as Lu Tze said, willing to try anything at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Yeah, plug the monitor directly into the motherboard for now so you can at least boot.

With that card, you probably need 14-pin PCI-E - that would probably mean you should have two 6-pin PCI-E cables connected and then a small 2-pin one - like this. Your PSU does seem to use that setup- are you sure you have all three plugs inserted and fully in? I know when I last installed a graphics card, the small 2-pin plug came wasn't fully home and the OS couldn't see the card.

Yeah, plug the monitor directly into the motherboard for now so you can at least boot.

With that card, you probably need 14-pin PCI-E - that would probably mean you should have two 6-pin PCI-E cables connected and then a small 2-pin one - like this. Your PSU does seem to use that setup- are you sure you have all three plugs inserted and fully in? I know when I last installed a graphics card, the small 2-pin plug came wasn't fully home and the OS couldn't see the card.

Won't boot (well connect to a monitor, the system makes all the system noises like normal), even when it's plugged into the motherboard. I've even tried VGA via the motherboard and still nothing.

Yep, power is definitely connected correctly to the GPU. I'm slightly unsure about the CPU power though, is there any correct orientation I should have the CPU 4pin? I know it's an 8 pin and it then divides into 2 x 4pin, that's all well and good, but just don't know if there's a correct way it should be orientated and if that will affect its functioning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Yep, power is definitely connected correctly to the GPU. I'm slightly unsure about the CPU power though, is there any correct orientation I should have the CPU 4pin? I know it's an 8 pin and it then divides into 2 x 4pin, that's all well and good, but just don't know if there's a correct way it should be orientated and if that will affect its functioning?

It won't fit the wrong way

There is a plastic prong on that connector, looking at your motherboard the prong should be on the side closer to the edge. But as said, it wouldn't fit the wrong way.

Failing that, sounds like something is very wrong. RAM all present and correctly seated?

Have you a case speaker connected? Do you get beeps when you remove the memory and try booting?

• Advertisement

There is a plastic prong on that connector, looking at your motherboard the prong should be on the side closer to the edge. But as said, it wouldn't fit the wrong way.

Failing that, sounds like something is very wrong. RAM all present and correctly seated?

Yep, ram is seated correctly with all of the notches clicking into place.

Have you a case speaker connected? Do you get beeps when you remove the memory and try booting?

Case doesn't have a speaker nor does the mobo as far as I can tell, is it still worth it to try test booting it without RAM?

Case doesn't have a speaker nor does the mobo as far as I can tell, is it still worth it to try test booting it without RAM?

No. It definitely won't boot without ram. Without beeps to diagnose it'll be difficult. Reseat everything including the processor

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That board has a 24 pin ATX power connector, the PSU has a cable which can be split into a 20 pin. Are all 24 pins plugged in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Did you put in all the riser screws into the case? There is absolutely no picture at all not even the the bios splash screen coming up?

Also check the cpu for bent pins

Speaker should have come with the motherboard. Check the box. Its small, about a centimetre cubed with some wires

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Some pics of your system will probably help the lads spot something.

When I did my build i forgot the main power cable for the board as it looked totally wrong when it was in.
    (I had to buy an extender to get some sort of cable managment after)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Please post exact model of mainboard, and exact model of CPU. Might be the annoying "needs bios update to work with new intel" issue.

Appreciate all of the help lads, thanks!
    No. It definitely won't boot without ram. Without beeps to diagnose it'll be difficult. Reseat everything including the processor

I'll need to clean the CPU cooler and get some thermal paste to then reseat it, right? Anywhere in Dublin to get some or will I need to order online?
    5uspect wrote: »
    That board has a 24 pin ATX power connector, the PSU has a cable which can be split into a 20 pin. Are all 24 pins plugged in?

Yep, every pin is connected. Didn't even notice it being able to split TBH.
    jonny24ie wrote: »
    Did you put in all the riser screws into the case? There is absolutely no picture at all not even the the bios splash screen coming up?

Also check the cpu for bent pins

I'm starting to think it might be an issue with the CPU pins or something along those lines, no idea how it would've happened though as I put it in according to the videos I've watched on how to put the CPU in without any issues, was very gentle with it.
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    Speaker should have come with the motherboard. Check the box. Its small, about a centimetre cubed with some wires

None that I can see looking at the board, or the box. I'm going to reseat everything in a minute and will check for that speaker then.
    Redfox25 wrote: »
    Some pics of your system will probably help the lads spot something.

When I did my build i forgot the main power cable for the board as it looked totally wrong when it was in.
    (I had to buy an extender to get some sort of cable managment after)

Uploading them now. Bit of cable havoc having a a modular PSU in a mATX case, never again that's for sure!
    srsly78 wrote: »
    Please post exact model of mainboard, and exact model of CPU. Might be the annoying "needs bios update to work with new intel" issue.

Have already done it, it's the MSI H97M-E35 and an Intel Core-i5 4590 clocked at 3.3ghz, which the motherboard is specifically for Haswell refresh chips AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Have already done it, it's the MSI H97M-E35 and an Intel Core-i5 4590 clocked at 3.3ghz, which the motherboard is specifically for Haswell refresh chips AFAIK.

That doesn't mean it will work without a bios update tho.

There is one stand-off missing from the motherboard, but it's well elevated and stable on both sides, there are also standoffs further up in the middle that are keeping the centre stable, so I'm highly doubtful it'd be a shortage (would the machine even power on if it was shorted?). JFP1 pins aren't visible as as the 5 1/4 bay adapter (for a 3.5" HDD) is blocking it from view, but all the case pins are seated in the right order.

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/cgoSP

• Advertisement

Have just tried booting it without RAM, it did boot, but after 30 seconds it would automatically restart every time. No beeps from the motherboard either.

Edit: And I mean it'd restart after 30 seconds every time I manually powered it off. If I left it after the restart, it'd just remain on (left it on for 2 minutes after the restart before manually powering down).

Maplins does thermal paste.

Advertisement