Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judo GI for BJJ

Options
  • 13-08-2014 5:08pm

hi currently use a fighting film black label judo gi and looking at bjj as supplement training, my question is would this gi be suitable for bjj, they are quite a thick/heavy jacket with regards material wheras from looking at bbj gi's they seem to be much lighter,

any comments will be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭cletus

It'll be fine for training in, although the looser cut of a judo gi might make it easier to get grips on.

Don't think it would be acceptable for competition, something to do with the length of the skirt etc, but open to correction on that

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You'll be able to train in it no problem.
    But as mentioned above it might give you an issue in comp, depends on a few factors tbh. The BJJ gi requirements are easily found.
    Also, its probably a weight disadvantage in comp, also not an issue for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

ronnoco13 wrote: »
    hi currently use a fighting film black label judo gi and looking at bjj as supplement training, my question is would this gi be suitable for bjj, they are quite a thick/heavy jacket with regards material wheras from looking at bbj gi's they seem to be much lighter,

I have a Dan Rho that's very similar to the black label and I think one person ever has commented on it not being a BJJ gi. My Blitz gi on the other hand, everyone notices straight away that something isn't right. Never been told it's unacceptable for training in though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

How light the bjj gi is depends on which one you get. Hayabusa sell triple weave bjj gis which I imagine are like Judo gis.

you need to be able to throw people wearing a bjj gi so a judo gi will be fine I imagine.

People wear lighters gis for preference or for hotter weather and things like that, it's not a rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You'll be fine for training, but I'd get a cheap BJJ Gi when I could afford it.

The Judo gi is cut differently, although if you're a newbie at both styles you may not appreciate the difference right now.

Basically a Judo gi will be easier to grip up with, the sleeves are noticable looser (on the Judogi), as is the torso ~ but usually the Judo gi is heavier, with a stiffer collar so its harder to throw (than the BJJ gi), its easier for you to break grips, and harder for your BJJ training partner to collar choke you.

The skirt (lower half of the Judo gi) is longer and loser, but this won't mean a thing for the less technical player.

• Advertisement

You'll be fine for training, but I'd get a cheap BJJ Gi when I could afford it.

The Judo gi is cut differently, although if you're a newbie at both styles you may not appreciate the difference right now.

Basically a Judo gi will be easier to grip up with, the sleeves are noticable looser (on the Judogi), as is the torso ~ but usually the Judo gi is heavier, with a stiffer collar so its harder to throw (than the BJJ gi), its easier for you to break grips, and harder for your BJJ training partner to collar choke you.

The skirt (lower half of the Judo gi) is longer and loser, but this won't mean a thing for the less technical player.

have been doing judo a few years with a break for last year due to injury, could you recommend a cheap bjj gi?

have been doing judo a few years with a break for last year due to injury, could you recommend a cheap bjj gi?

I'd always recommend asking your coach, he probably sells a half decent suit and you're supporting your club too. Failing that he'd give you a heads up.

Failing that I've no idea, sorry.. And sorry to hear about the Judo injury, but its all part and parcel of Judo I'm afraid, I'm never without an injury the more Judo I train :o

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dubdamo

I'd always recommend asking your coach, he probably sells a half decent suit and you're supporting your club too. Failing that he'd give you a heads up.

Failing that I've no idea, sorry.. And sorry to hear about the Judo injury, but its all part and parcel of Judo I'm afraid, I'm never without an injury the more Judo I train :o

Mentioned to my physio that I was thinking of getting back into judo and his eyes lit up, CASHCOW.

dubdamo wrote: »
    [/B]

Mentioned to my physio that I was thinking of getting back into judo and his eyes lit up, CASHCOW.

I'm lucky that my job pays my medical bills, plus I train with the Defence Forces Judo Club, plus regularly with the Garda Judo Club so I'm well looked after ~ however I'd swear my physio holidays on my injuries lol

can outsiders train with defences forces

• Advertisement

can outsiders train with defences forces

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

could you recommend a cheap bjj gi?

You'll be hard pushed to do better than tatami for the money but there are a few Irish brands on the go now too.

http://www.tatamifightwear.com/

But check with your club, they might have some available too.

Advertisement