Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with name of this weed

Options
  • 13-08-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

or maybe it's not a weed but looks like one....

it's long and stringy with leaves only about every 6" or more off a long thin stem and notably its a creeper along the ground..

any help appreciated

kYKbOtB.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭PanicStations

Calystegia sepium. Common name hedge bindweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭catchup

Bindweed. Roundup is your only man....can be a real problem. Don't just pull it out as it will just pop up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I had a serious problem with this in my small london garden with it coming at me from all sides. I found the best method to deal with it is roundup as that kills the roots too, but i grew the bindweed up canes and then lovingly painted roundup onto the leaves (wearing rubber gloves) taking great care with bit of newspaper to cover nearby wanted plants while I did this. I then enjoyed a cup of tea as over the weeks I watched it dry up and blow away :D. I still had to deal with it coming in from the traintrack but the canes were always at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

Am told in Connemara it's called the devil's garter - in Irish I'd imagine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Bindweed. Curse of a thing. Very difficult to pull out, as it breaks easily and wraps itself around your plants.

I'm normally not one to suggest weedkiller if there is any other method, but this is one weed I use roundup on. I find the gel is easier than the spray for bindweed, saves you killing your own plant in the process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement