Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

G p s tracking

• 13-08-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

For reasons of security I need to be able track a disabled child of mine. I wondered would anyone have an idea of a good quality gps product that allows this.

For example garmin do bike computers which allow real time tracking by phone.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Joey, hows things.

Dont know if your looking for something at this level but G4S do a good unit called PAL.
    Its not cheep though, €around €360 for the unit & €360 a year subscription.
    Also works as a portable panic button/medical alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thank you. I will have a look at that. Don't want to sound cheap but it's expensive but I'd pay it if I've no better choices. Will have a look

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No Problem.
    I'd be interested in any freeware options you find.
    Please post back your findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A cheap, or even second hand, Android smartphone would possibly do it. Either use the standard built-in "Android Device Manager" to do one off location searches, or use one of the many tracker programs out there, such as https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.safet.android.childrentrackerplus&hl=en

If you need the tracker to be smaller or more securely attached this may not be ideal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, there are plenty of GPS trackers designed for children and pets. The technology is pretty much the same in both cases except the pet tracker involves a collar and the child tracker is a device that attaches to clothing or a backpack.

Google 'gps child tracker'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There are plenty I agree. It's just I'd rather get something that's know to work.

Anyway , moving forward I might have something app based for an android phone which would be interesting as the phone could be configured to use wi fi indoors

Advertisement