Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small style valve to big?plus ???s

Options
  • 13-08-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Can I buy a tube that has a big valve that I can pump up in a garage if my wheel already has the smaller valve?
    Does the tire size make any difference? On it now is 700x35c-28. I want to put on Schwalbe Marathon Plus Road Tyre - Smart Guard. I go in and out of town a lot and get a lot of punctures. How skinny a tire can I go for? And what is grip like with skinny easiest ones, I've 26 inch wheels on my old bike and had the same with tires as the Dublin City bikes, would I notice much of a difference going to the skinniest of tires for the 28 inch wheel of my new bike, do you need different tubes for the skinniest tires? What will the tires say to select skinniest tire?
    Sorry for all questions, I'm grand with car tires, bit clueless with bike ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gsi300024v wrote: »
    Can I buy a tube that has a big valve that I can pump up in a garage if my wheel already has the smaller valve?...
    Most filling station compressors only go up to 60psi (as most vehicles take around 30psi). A standard 23/25 bike road tyre requires 100-120psi. Probably less for a 28/32/35 but would still require over 60psi.

Have you got a track pump with a gauge? If you are getting lots of punctures, it's possible you are riding under-inflated and therefore more prone to puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

I was keeping them well pumped 60 psi, but I use cycle lanes from Tallaght to Trinity so plenty of glass and tweezers etc etc etc. I'll need a pump so. I've got hand ones but I'll get a good track pump. I know a few garages with air you can go to whatever you like too, any answers to other questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I go in and out of town a lot and get a lot of punctures.
    I was keeping them well pumped 60 psi, but I use cycle lanes from Tallaght to Trinity

There's your problem right there. Sure that's just above what they come out of the box at. Second problem highlighted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Any answers to other questions, I'm hoping to buy them online and save few bob.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You need to be pumping your tyres well above 60psi. 90 min.

Skinnier tyres are supposedly faster, although there isn't much difference in 23 to 25. The thinner the tyre, the higher you need to pump it up to. My track bike has 20's on and they go to 120 psi at least. My everyday bike has much wider tyres (27 by 1/4 wheels, tyres 28 although look wider) you feel less from the road, go up to 90/109 although it's a steel frame too it's less comfy than a carbon bike on 25's I tried on a spin.

Cycle lanes are full of glass and debris this could add to you getting punctures. If you want to cycle in there get schwalbe marathon's, like the Dublin Bike tyres, they have great puncture resistance. You will get much, much fewer punctures if you pump your tyres up to 90+ at least, if not 100+ depending on what size tyre you get.

Get a track pump and pump up your tyres regularly to ensure they are at a decent pressure. I pump / check my everyday bike twice a week, and my track bike everytime I get on it, narrower tyres need more checking.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter what you get, pump them up to the min. Reccomended pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tyre and steer clear of debris as much as you can otherwise you will continue to get punctures no matter what tyres put on your bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The valve hole in the wheel rim is probably too small to accommodate a car type / Schraeder valve. If you want the option to be able to use the garage air hose (though, as pointed out above, it probably won't have sufficient pressure), you can get a screw-on Schrader / Presta adapter for a few €

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My everyday bike has much wider tyres (27 by 1/4 wheels, tyres 28 although look wider) you feel less from the road, go up to 90/109

On the other hand, I have 700x35 tyres on my bike, running 40psi front and 65 rear, and I am not the lightest bloke around (80kgs). Commuting daily through the city centre, no punctures in ~1000km. Tyres don't have any special puncture protection either (Schwalbe Kojaks)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Alek wrote: »
    On the other hand, I have 700x35 tyres on my bike, running 40psi front and 65 rear, and I am not the lightest bloke around (80kgs). Commuting daily through the city centre, no punctures in ~1000km. Tyres don't have any special puncture protection either (Schwalbe Kojaks)

I went around for a couple of months in and out of thefity centre with the inner tube poking out of very, very old three and never got a puncture. But as soon as I let my tyres go soft they soak up glass and stuff. (I'm a 63kg lady) Also it feels treacle-y when they're soft, and slow, and i need all the help i can get with speed!
    I used to get way more punctures before I got a track pump a few years ago. Don't use puncture resistant tyres either, continental ultra sport and unidentified old back tyre from another bike.

Advertisement