Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'N' Plate question

Options
  • 13-08-2014 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone,

I recently passed my driving test on the 29th of July and was told by numerous people that I would NOT have to display N plates. However, I just received my licence in the post this morning and the date of issue is the 8th of August. Can anyone clarify if I will have to dispaly 'N' plates or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You need N plates. Its the date the licence was issued. Should have went to the NDLS office a day early! Congrats on passing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Unfortunately the piece of paper you get at the test center and your actual license are two different things. You could pass your test today and apply for your license in 6 months if you wanted, the date of licence issue would be the correct date to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

what date is on your licence as "Valid From"

this will determine whether or not you need N plates

• Registered Users Posts: 8 smiley.robert

Well I called the NDLS and it tuns out that the date which determines whether or not you need 'N' plates is section 10 on the back of the licence, which details the categories of vehicles you are allowed to drive. So in my case I am valid to drive a car from the 30th of July (The date I applied for my full licence) and not the date on which the licence was issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've yet to see any of these N plates myself.. lots of new L's up though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I spotted one along with the L plate still on, perhaps the driver was also a Dutch fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Saw my first N plates yesterday on a small people transport van....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I saw not one, but two N plates today. What do I win? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Passed today and got given my N plates! They're not sticky on either side so I'm unsure as to how to correctly apply them to the car, can anyone help please? I used cellotape on my L plates which just melted due to the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Passed today and got given my N plates! They're not sticky on either side so I'm unsure as to how to correctly apply them to the car, can anyone help please? I used cellotape on my L plates which just melted due to the sun!

They're for use on the inside of the vehicle. wet the inside of the windscreen first and they'll stay on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

They are window clings. Don't wet them just rub them onto a clean windscreen on the inside.
    Make sure they aren't "Z" plates

Advertisement