Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best equipment to dig holes for Fence Posts

Options
  • 13-08-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

Hoping somebody here can help me with a problem I have.

About 3 months ago I decided to put fencing up in the front garden (approx .4 of an acre). I bought 6 foot posts and panels and have them all in my garden shed ready to put togther.

I needed to dig 40 2ft holes for the fence posts so I figures the best way to do this was to hire a Petrol Hole Borer.

2 of us attempted to dig the holes with this borer but the ground is full of rocks and it was impossible to dig the 2foot holes. We had to keep stopping and manually dig out massive lumps of rock. It took 4 hours just to dig 6 holes. I then decided that it might be best to hire a digger and a drive to do this but I have been let down on 3 different occasions by various people that had promised to come out to the house to do the work for me.

So I was wondering if I should hire the digger myself to do the work or is there some other piece of equipement I could hire that would help me?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

gazzer wrote: »
    Hoping somebody here can help me with a problem I have.

About 3 months ago I decided to put fencing up in the front garden (approx .4 of an acre). I bought 6 foot posts and panels and have them all in my garden shed ready to put togther.

I needed to dig 40 2ft holes for the fence posts so I figures the best way to do this was to hire a Petrol Hole Borer.

2 of us attempted to dig the holes with this borer but the ground is full of rocks and it was impossible to dig the 2foot holes. We had to keep stopping and manually dig out massive lumps of rock. It took 4 hours just to dig 6 holes. I then decided that it might be best to hire a digger and a drive to do this but I have been let down on 3 different occasions by various people that had promised to come out to the house to do the work for me.

So I was wondering if I should hire the digger myself to do the work or is there some other piece of equipement I could hire that would help me?

Thanks

If your living in the coutryside you could probably get a farmer to hook something like the below onto the back of a tractor. It's the way most posts would be driven. A lot of co-ops would rent them out or some bigger farmers would have their own. Digging holes would be painful.

http://www.vectorpowerdrive.com/post-driver-mod1/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

jonnybravo wrote: »
    If your living in the coutryside you could probably get a farmer to hook something like the below onto the back of a tractor. It's the way most posts would be driven. A lot of co-ops would rent them out or some bigger farmers would have their own. Digging holes would be painful.

http://www.vectorpowerdrive.com/post-driver-mod1/

Thanks for that. There is a Co-Op not far from me so I will pop in there and Sat and see if they have any and if they know of anyone in the area who would help.

Have had nothing but people letting me down on work in the garden since the beginning of the year. I ring them, tell them what I would like done, they say they will come out to have a look to give me a quote and then I hear nothing. From talking to few people in work it is not just happening to me. There must be a lot of work to choose from in Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

If it's a six foot post and panel fence then ideally the posts should be concreted in. Farmers drive posts in as they are usually just for fixing wire to, therefore they don't offer much wind resistance and it doesn't matter if the posts aren't 100% plumb. If a post hits a rock it will knock it off plumb.
    I'd go the mini digger route and give it a try yourself. You'll use more concrete as it may be difficult to keep the holes small. That's the beauty of the augger, it keeps the holes nice and small, but as you've discovered they don't work well in stoney ground

Advertisement