Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uploading from Garmin directly to a tablet?

Options
  • 13-08-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭

Has anyone managed it?

I bought a USB OTG cable yesterday to try and upload directly from an Edge 500 to a Nexus 7. I've tried using two apps but neither have worked so far. Nexus Media Importer allows me to root the Garmin but it only lets me see the parent folders and none of the files within - I can see Activities but none of the .fit files in there. Also tried the Sportablet Garmin uploader app but that won't even root the Garmin.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 slurp

hi i use stick mount st up loader and garmin connect it works fine for me i can get to all my files etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

slurp wrote: »
    hi i use stick mount st up loader and garmin connect it works fine for me i can get to all my files etc

This app?? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.carlopescio.uploader&hl=en

I can't get that to work. Have stick mount installed too on rooted phone. Is there any trick to it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

G1032 wrote: »

That's the Garmin Uploader that I tried without success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I'm using the Nexus Media Importer on a Nexus 7 (running 4.4.4 KitKat) and can see all the folders & contents on Garmin 500 and Garmin Etrex. I used to upload files from the Garmin to the tablet and then from there to Strava, but once the Media Importer is running, I can select the files directly from the Strava upload page

FWIW, I tried the ST Uploader previously - it didn't work

I'm using the Nexus Media Importer on a Nexus 7 (running 4.4.4 KitKat) and can see all the folders & contents on Garmin 500 and Garmin Etrex. I used to upload files from the Garmin to the tablet and then from there to Strava, but once the Media Importer is running, I can select the files directly from the Strava upload page

FWIW, I tried the ST Uploader previously - it didn't work

Interesting. My Nexus is also on 4.4.4. Do you have many .fit files on the Garmin? When I opened the Activities folder there were none showing so I left it a bit to see if they would load but they didn't (maybe I didn't leave it long enough?). I have probably 60 files in there. I didn't try searching for the file through Strava though, just in NMI through the rooted Garmin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Plastik wrote: »
    Do you have many .fit files on the Garmin?

No - I usually delete the files off the Garmin after I upload them.
    I have no direct experience but had heard that Garmins can act-up when the memory is close to full. However, whether that takes 60 or 600 .fit files, I don't know.

Had another go at this tonight. Tried Stickmount but it didn't seem to be picking up the Garmin, even though looking at the screen of the Garmin it had gone into the file transfer mode. Back to the Nexus Media Importer then for another play with that and eventually got it working. My problem first time around was that the default options that the app gives you when rooting the Garmin is Photos and Files. Files lets you see the parent folders and nothing in them. So for anyone with a Nexus trying the same, swipe from the left of the screen and you get a lot more options. Select Folders in this sidebar menu and you can then access all the .fit files for upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

As a matter of interest, where did you get the otg cable?

I picked one up in Maplins for an extortionate €20 but they can be had for less than a fiver delivered from Amazon and eBay. The app is another €3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Have you tinkered much with the settings for ST Uploader?

I had to change a few things in the settings before it would work for me for my Garmin 310xt - Samsung Note 3 setup. I have two settings checked - Force flash drive scan, and Force Claim Interface.

Once it works, it's the biz.

• Advertisement

No I didn't really play with the settings at all as it wasn't even finding the Garmin as a connected device - so as soon as I had the other one working I just deleted ST Uploader again.

Advertisement