Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biochemistry or Microbiology??

Options
  • 13-08-2014 12:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭

So I've to decide which of the above to choose for this academic year, for my final 2 years of my undergrad. What I want to know is, assuming I just complete the undergrad, which one is best career wise? What jobs outlet do they ultimately boil down to? The advice we're given in college is often somewhat vague.

I suppose it has to be if they want to paint a bright image. I might know a lot about microbiology, but I don't really know where it leads in terms of careers. I just have this idea of it being in a hospital. And for biochemistry, I just think of biotech!!!

It doesn't really bother me either way, what I get, but in terms of planning my career based on future trends, I suppose I should be looking into it deeply!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

Biochemistry is a more fundamental science, so it would relevant to a wider range of careers than microbiology would. It also has fewer graduates which would increase your chances of getting into the career you want. When I was choosing my subject for 3rd year, I actually just looked through the module descriptions and chose the subject that had the most modules that I'd be interested in, because I do think that's more important. (If you're going into 3rd yr in UCD I think you'd have to have your subject chosen by now?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Electric Boobs

DaisyFay wrote: »
    Biochemistry is a more fundamental science, so it would relevant to a wider range of careers than microbiology would. It also has fewer graduates which would increase your chances of getting into the career you want. When I was choosing my subject for 3rd year, I actually just looked through the module descriptions and chose the subject that had the most modules that I'd be interested in, because I do think that's more important. (If you're going into 3rd yr in UCD I think you'd have to have your subject chosen by now?)
    it's actually ucc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Moved from UCD forum to UCC forum

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JenMol

So I've to decide which of the above to choose for this academic year, for my final 2 years of my undergrad. What I want to know is, assuming I just complete the undergrad, which one is best career wise? What jobs outlet do they ultimately boil down to? The advice we're given in college is often somewhat vague.

I suppose it has to be if they want to paint a bright image. I might know a lot about microbiology, but I don't really know where it leads in terms of careers. I just have this idea of it being in a hospital. And for biochemistry, I just think of biotech!!!

It doesn't really bother me either way, what I get, but in terms of planning my career based on future trends, I suppose I should be looking into it deeply!!

I've just finished my Biochemistry degree in UCC. I suppose at the end of the day once finished biochem or micro the outcome is similar enough. People who go on to do masters including Biotech can be from both Micro and Biochem backgrounds. It depends on what you want to do after the degree. PhD wise they would be totally different. Micro graduates tend to do research in food industries or biotech while Biochem do it in hospital labs, biotech industries and so on. Like if you wanted to get a job straight out of your BSc the outcome is good for both but majority of classes go on to do a MSc or PhD. So outcomes are the same really but they're total different subjects in some ways. At the end of the day it depends on what you like yourself like to me micro is learning all about Bacterias and fungus etc while Biochem is all about pathways, genetics, drugs and diseases and so on. If you have any questions about Biochem let me know I'll try my best to answer them. I'm starting a PhD in September because I did voluntary work experience in the summer of 2nd year in a Biotech industry and didn't really like it. One bit of advice I would give no matter what you do is try get a day or two experience in like a biotech industry or lab because I didn't realise what they were like until then.

Advertisement