Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

battery life with 3

Options
  • 12-08-2014 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

i have a samsung galaxy s5

i recently swapped from o2 to 3. im finding that my battery can be about 20% now when i finish work in the evenings while it would have been about 40-60% when i was on o2.

anyone else having this issue?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

A phones battery will drain alot faster when its struggling to keep a good connection to the network. I imagine the issue is being caused by a weak 3 signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Use WiFi wherever possible. It'll save your battery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭user99

hi sh1te - thanks for your reply but i dont think wifi is the solution here. nothing has changed on my phone since last week, other than the sim and the network that im on.

hi kirkfx - anytime i look at it the signal would seem solid enough, either full h or mid range 4g

user99 wrote: »
    hi sh1te - thanks for your reply but i dont think wifi is the solution here. nothing has changed on my phone since last week, other than the sim and the network that im on.

hi kirkfx - anytime i look at it the signal would seem solid enough, either full h or mid range 4g

Is it hopping from H to 4G? It's the hopping that kills the battery. Turn off 4G or connect to WiFi if possible while at work may help

id sit in the same spot in the office for most of the day. ill put the phone out on the desk maybe tomorrow and see if its noticably changing from h to 4g all the time, but id have guessed go.

i do get what you are saying about g only or h only or 4g only - but if i have a phone id like to use it to its full potential too and not knock all the features off if you get me?

thanks

• Advertisement

If you're in an office connect to WiFi, there'll be no mast hopping when you're connected to WiFi

office wifi - not a chance! :)

user99 wrote: »
    office wifi - not a chance! :)

Ok, then why not invest in a wireless charging pad for beside your desk. I have one beside the bed, great job, no more snagging the phone on the cable when I pick it up in the dark :-)

i have so many wireless charging pads. these are all workarounds to what appears to be a 3 problem. i suppose im trying to see if anyone else on 3 is having the issue. i may consider swapping back to o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I noticed an improvement in battery life when I moved from an area with abysmal 3 coverage to one with solid coverage. Not massive, but certainly in the range of 20%.

• Advertisement

Come to think of it, I think I remember threads here about issues with 3, something about the fact that you use Vodafone for 2G. I think setting it not to use 2G was the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

Is it that you moved to 3 for 4g where you were just using h previously? If so, then connecting to a 4g network is a lot harder on the battery

Advertisement