Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sideways movement in back wheel

Options
  • 12-08-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a Claud Butler Levante flat bar road bike that I bought second hand about 6 months ago. There was always a slight movement to either side in the back wheel if you tried to move it between the brake pads. Is this normal? If not is there an easy way to remedy it or is it a bigger problem? The bike is a couple of years old and I'm told it wasn't used a lot, it doesn't look like it was anyway. The wheels are Bontrager. The front wheel is similar but not as pronounced. There is probably 1.5mm movement either side.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

That sounds to be normal for cup & cone bearings, see Sheldon Brown's page for a description, http://sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Exactly as Al said, you could probably tighten by hand to remove the play. be careful not to overtighten as the wheel will not spin as freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭10 Carrolls

Cheers, it isn't really causing a problem, maybe I'll just leave well alone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cheers, it isn't really causing a problem, maybe I'll just leave well alone.

I would get it tightened up, its not causing a problem now but it will shorten the lifetime of the wheel dramatically and it will eventually get worse. Its a relatively easy fix for a bike mechanic, 10 minutes should do it. Should not cost more than a couple of euro per wheel.

Advertisement