Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishvoip.ie, Caller ID, N300

Options
  • 12-08-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Hi there, (me again)

So as the title suggests, i have stuck a tenner on irishvoip.ie, Im having difficulty finding an option to give my outgoing caller ID as my home phone number, it just appears as private number.

There is no option that i can find within IrishVoip website, I have the N300 base station and can not find an option in the settings to set the number.

Any advice would be lovely

thanks
    paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Check your account settings ..... some providers allow you to make such settings within your account (after the number is verified).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Hi there, (me again)

So as the title suggests, i have stuck a tenner on irishvoip.ie, Im having difficulty finding an option to give my outgoing caller ID as my home phone number, it just appears as private number.

There is no option that i can find within IrishVoip website, I have the N300 base station and can not find an option in the settings to set the number.

Any advice would be lovely

thanks
    paul

Caller ID for consumers is done at the provider. Your phone should not need to send a Caller ID and if it did, it shouldn't show up when being received at the PSTN. Contact them and they should be able to set it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Thanks for the responses,

In the email they send you when you register it suggests that all you need to do is set your display name in your phone settings go the number, that just sounds wrong, i think i will use 999?

I have opened a ticket with irishvoip, (i actually signed up to the wrong irishvoip, i meant to sign up with the .com one, signed up with the .ie one)

oh well, shall see what they are like

Thanks for the responses,

In the email they send you when you register it suggests that all you need to do is set your display name in your phone settings go the number, that just sounds wrong, i think i will use 999?

I have opened a ticket with irishvoip, (i actually signed up to the wrong irishvoip, i meant to sign up with the .com one, signed up with the .ie one)

oh well, shall see what they are like

http://irishvoip.ie/Config.aspx

Not sure why you would use 999. Wouldn't show in the PSTN anyway as it's too short.

Try using different formats, e.g. 353871234567, 0871234567, 00353871234567 etc in your display name.

Display name usually doesn't matter with the majority of providers since caller ID is sent from the SIP account set by the provider, instead here it appears you can pretty much send any number, illustrating that the provider is not following Comreg regulations.

See what they come back with anyway :rolleyes:

Mr. G wrote: »
    http://irishvoip.ie/Config.aspx

Not sure why you would use 999. Wouldn't show in the PSTN anyway as it's too short.

Try using different formats, e.g. 353871234567, 0871234567, 00353871234567 etc in your display name.

Display name usually doesn't matter with the majority of providers since caller ID is sent from the SIP account set by the provider, instead here it appears you can pretty much send any number, illustrating that the provider is not following Comreg regulations.

See what they come back with anyway :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply

The link suggested is what they sent me in an email, I have looked through the settings in the n300a and changed both the account name and concection name to the suggested number formats, (with / without country code, without 00, also tried ++) rebooted the base station and left them for at least 20 minutes, still coming up as a private number.

Will wait for a response, it just feels a bit wrong that i can put any number in my display name and they will forward it as my number.

I will post an update when i receive it

• Advertisement

Quick update,

The number can be released, It isnt the display name or connection name that needs to be changed, it is the username.

A support ticket was created with irishvoip.ie on the 13th i emailed again yesterday, still no contact reply. It is a super cheap service so i suppose should not expect good customer service.

You get what you pay for with VoIP - that's the thing. It doesn't convince me that they have no address listed on their website.

They're registered with Comreg:
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/erau/evet_ltd.0.0.949.details.LE.asp

With their office telephone number being listed as 0044 118310107. Those calls are probabl routed weird ways around grey routes, not something for business but ideal if you need something cheap.

Having looked at their pricing I would definitely consider them for home.
    Although if making a lot of calls FreeVOIPdeal would be cheaper due to the 'free' period after a top-up.

I might give then a try to see what they are like.

I meant to sign up to the .com irishvoip after reading the forums, they are an Irish company, I had a can or two and confused myself.

This is working now so I will stay with them until a tenner is spent.

My thanks johnboy and Mr g

I meant to sign up to the .com irishvoip after reading the forums, they are an Irish company, I had a can or two and confused myself.

This is working now so I will stay with them until a tenner is spent.

My thanks johnboy and Mr g

Yeah, the .ie one is a UK registered company.

• Advertisement

Mod: Title edited to show .ie rather than nothing to avoid confusion.

The call rates quoted by irishvoip.ie for irish mobiles is not correct.

Quoted on the site Ireland Mob 0.01380

To an 086 number for 2m 48s cost €0.08988 per min = €0.0321

All of the irish mobile numbers come out at €0.0321 (some with a few extra decimal points)

It does say on the website that there is no connection charge, it is per second billing, but VAT is not included, When I deposited money with them there was a 20% surcharge for VAT (€10 cost €12)

Before i attempt to contact them am i missing something obvious?

Just to give you a comparison .....

I purchased €10 credit for a freevoipdeal account recently.
    It cost €12.31 including VAT and some transaction charge (not Irish VAT, but combined they work out about the same as Irish VAT)

My account is credited only with the VAT exclusive €10
    My account is charged only with the VAT exclusive amount of the call.

A couple of recent calls to Irish mobiles

087... 52 mins 22 secs (53 mins) total deducted €0.901 which equals €0.017 per minute from my account or 1.7c + VAT per minute.

087... 0mins 06 secs (1 min) total deducted € 0.017 which is again € 0.017 per minute from the account or 1.7c + VAT per minute.

All inclusive charge per minute (or part of a minute) is €0.0209 (if my math is correct) to Irish mobiles.

You would appear to have been charged €0.04 per minute including VAT.

Hope that helps a little ...

thanks for the response,

the deduction was €0.08988 I worked out the per minute amount from that,

I don't mind paying 4¢ a minute, the company I meant to sign up to charge that, I don't like that they have it on their rates pages as less,

thanks for the response,

the deduction was €0.08988 I worked out the per minute amount from that,

I don't mind paying 4¢ a minute, the company I meant to sign up to charge that, I don't like that they have it on their rates pages as less,

Yes I would be contacting them to find out what is going on .... it is a small amount, but their web site clearly gives a different figure than what you posted.

I had considered changing recently, but got lazy and just bought credit for the freevoipdeal account instead.
    Rather glad I did now as I can do without this sort of hassle.

So just an update, i have emailed irishvoip.ie twice, got an automated response saying ticket was created, but nothing after that, that was 4 weeks ago, the service works fine, no complaints with the quality.

The rates quoted on irishvoip.ie site are incorrect, some are cheaper

Irish landline 0.59 cent a minute
    Irish mobile 3.21 cent a minute
    UK landline 0.44 cent a minute
    UK mobile 1.48 cent a minute

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

sip.irishvoip.ie resolves to 77.72.174.129, which is an IP in a net block owned by Finarea S.A. It wouldn't be my cup of tea. :D

malachy47 wrote: »
    sip.irishvoip.ie resolves to 77.72.174.129, which is an IP in a net block owned by Finarea S.A. It wouldn't be my cup of tea. :D

I will not put anymore money on my account with them, but is there anything else i should consider? (they have ignored me)

I will not put anymore money on my account with them, but is there anything else i should consider? (they have ignored me)

Just leave them. A company that isn't willing to assist customers shouldn't have any. You could complain to Comreg or the National Consumer Agency but if it's for small amount I wouldn't bother. They are charging incorrectly so that would be false advertising, but really, for a small difference I don't think it's worth the energy or chasing it down.

Their website have no physical address listed. However I was able to find it was owned by a company based in the UK and in Ireland called Evet Ltd.

I found this:
    http://evet.ltd.uk/

Evet Limited
    77 Sir John Rogerson's Quay
    DUBLIN 2
    Dublin

IrishVoip
    Evet Limited
    145-157 St. John Street
    EC1V 4PW
    London

I wonder if they are really located in Ireland or just using a PO service?
    http://www.fitzbiz.com/virtual-office/post-box/

Mr. G wrote: »
    Just leave them. A company that isn't willing to assist customers shouldn't have any. You could complain to Comreg or the National Consumer Agency but if it's for small amount I wouldn't bother. They are charging incorrectly so that would be false advertising, but really, for a small difference I don't think it's worth the energy or chasing it down.

Their website have no physical address listed. However I was able to find it was owned by a company based in the UK and in Ireland called Evet Ltd.

I found this:
    http://evet.ltd.uk/

Evet Limited
    77 Sir John Rogerson's Quay
    DUBLIN 2
    Dublin

IrishVoip
    Evet Limited
    145-157 St. John Street
    EC1V 4PW
    London

I wonder if they are really located in Ireland or just using a PO service?
    http://www.fitzbiz.com/virtual-office/post-box/

Thanks for the info.

Im not letting them keep my €7 odd, it will take a few hours to call my mobile and run out the credit, which i will be quite happy to do.

I might contact comreg just to say they are doing it, it cant do any harm to make them aware. (i dont think anyway?)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info.

Im not letting them keep my €7 odd, it will take a few hours to call my mobile and run out the credit, which i will be quite happy to do.

I might contact comreg just to say they are doing it, it cant do any harm to make them aware. (i dont think anyway?)

Of course it can't :)

Advertisement