Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Address the issues

Options
  • 12-08-2014 7:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

So, another person dies by suicide.

Why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Many factors.

Not something that we could all relate to or come close to understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Personally I blame the government no one's done that in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Every situation is different. Have no idea what is going on in anyones head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

NipNip wrote: »

Why?

Because they wanted to kill themselves and succeeded in doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

We wont solve it today anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Lot's of people have done this, anyone in particular you are referring to ? And what's your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭bboybaboy19

Lot's of people have done this, anyone in particular you are referring to ? And what's your opinion.

Feigning ignorance. So cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Feigning ignorance. So cool.

Well, I don't see a name or a news article or a link, And I'm not psychic hence why I asked. I can Assume a lot but may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why?

Mental illness ie depression.

What issues you want addressed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

People kill themselves for many reasons. All we can do is try to reduce the stigma around mental health issues and provide help when it is wanted. Although sometimes it is difficult if they don't want to go to someone for help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Silly thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm of a belief that a lot of suicide victims committed suicide while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

If they would just have waited until they'd sobered up, would not have went through with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

Why?

thats the why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Silly thread.
    thread rated by me accordingly.

Why do you think OP?

People's problems and issues are too diverse for a simple answer to a complex question. Everyone is individual, and is their mental health.

I'm of a belief that a lot of suicide victims committed suicide while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

If they would just have waited until they'd sobered up, would not have went through with it.

Quite often a symptom of an illness though,when they sober up the problem remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

kneemos wrote: »
    Quite often a symptom of an illness though,when they sober up the problem remains.

And is often more compounded by the alcohol I'd imagine...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Sauve wrote: »
    And is often more compounded by the alcohol I'd imagine...
    So we can't address that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I've been sitting on the word 'nebulous' for a couple of days so I'm gonna throw it in here cheers

nebulous

How would you suggest we go about that? One on one is difficult enough, taking on society as a whole is out of my playing field I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

So we should ban alcohol??!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Address what makes people turn to alcohol. You know, when you're 14. What sort of life makes you turn to alcoholism? Address that. Because THAT is what people don't talk about.
    They all just randomly turn to drugs. Yup.

Address what makes people turn to alcohol. You know, when you're 14. What sort of life makes you turn to alcoholism? Address that. Because THAT is what people don't talk about.

Address it how though?

For what it's worth, it's not just people with a 'dodgy life' that turn to alcohol or drugs, or suffer from depression. It can happen to anybody, anytime, anywhere, for any number of reasons.
    Heck, there doesn't even have to be a reason.

Genuinely not a clue.
    Rather than being cryptic about what you mean why not just say it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Is this one of those "Blame everyone else for suicide" threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Hopelessness? I'd say a lot of people can relate to that feeling. The one where there is no tomorrow, there is nothing to look forward to and the sense of futility of all of it gives weight to not having a reason to continue. Maybe some people know how it feels to have a family or loved ones who, because of a variety of circumstances, you don't believe you are a benefit to, in fact they may even feel that they have caused undue hurt or pain to them purely by existing at all and subsequently decide they would be much better off without them. In fact the world would be better off without them. I suspect drugs and alcohol play a role, as much a depression, isolation or loneliness do too. The crazy thing is that I know way too many people who can relate, fortunately they are all still here. When you lose a reason to live it can be a long hard struggle to get back up on the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Every situation is different. Have no idea what is going on in anyones head.

exactly there's no magic solution there's no magic cure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Nemeses wrote: »
    Many factors.

Not something that we could all relate to or come close to understanding.

Not as long as people are unwilling to discuss the issue out of fear of offending someone, you'd be surprised at the level of empathy and understanding the average person has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

What's this "We don't discuss it" lark about? Yes we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Not as long as people are unwilling to discuss the issue out of fear of offending someone, you'd be surprised at the level of empathy and understanding the average person has.

The human brain is quite a complex machine. You might think you're helping but could be making the situation worse.

Thankfully, we have resources and the people skilled to help or at least try prevent such a horrible experience to occur.

It's an awful situation for both parties to be in.

Advertisement