Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Routes Donegal - Recommendations Please

Options
  • 12-08-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Heading up to Donegal with the family in a couple of weeks. We are staying right up the North Coast near Carrigart, 40k North of Letterkenny. Have no idea what the area is like and have rarely ventured up that way. Booked a last minute deal on a house Blindly. Anyway, any recommendations for good cycle routes around there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mulroy bay bridge round to portsalon, milford and back

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

Atlantic Drive loop, Horn Head loop, Knockalla and on into Rathmullan(probably the nicest spin you will ever be on) and try to fit a loop in around Glenveagh. Thats 4 mornings taken care off.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Kilmacrennan> glenveigh > Muckish > Falcarragh> Dunfanaghy > kilmacrennan. There are a few categorised climbs around Muckish too if you like hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

CJC999 wrote: »
    Kilmacrennan> glenveigh > Muckish > Falcarragh> Dunfanaghy > kilmacrennan. There are a few categorised climbs around Muckish too if you like hills.

I don't but I'll give them a go anyway ;-) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

detones wrote: »
    I don't but I'll give them a go anyway ;-) thanks
    Horn Head (outside Dunfanaghy) will put you to the pin of your collar. Great views from the top though if the weather is clear. Take care on the descent as its a very narrow road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

Up for a week myself (different part - Doochary). Had forgotten what it's like to cycle with a strong headwind with no shelter 😕.

Enjoy - it's lovely around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

Head towards Milford with Mulroy Bay to your left. Turn left approaching Milford and head towards kerrykeel and portsalon (looping around mulroy Bay so to speak) and head towards the dramatic and scenic knockalla climb (not easy!). This road will take you into rathmullan. Head towards Ramelton and then back via Milford again. Fantastic scenery all the way. Check out other routes in the area using http://www.mapmyride.com Welcome to Donegal and enjoy your stay.

If you have time for a longer spin head south from Carrigart towards Lough Salt (great scenery) and then into Termon (north of Kilmacrennan). Then onto the Glenveagh/Gweedore road.

This will bring you past Glenveagh National Park, views of Muckish mountain, past Errigal mountain (highest in Donegal) into Dunlewey and past the Poisoned Glen. You'll eventually come to Gweedore. Head for Bunbeg, Derrybeg and north along the Atlantic coast to Bloody Foreland and Meenaclady - with views of Tory Island.

Then on to Gortahork, Falcarragh and into Dunfanaghy. (If your legs are up to it, you could do a loop of Horn Head - sharp left as you enter Dunfanaghy and by GAA club).

After Dunfanaghy, it's on to Portnablagh and Creeslough. You can turn left at Creeslough to get back to Carrigart again.

Apart from Horn Head there are no savage climbs but there are a few long drags.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

If you have time for a longer spin head south from Carrigart towards Lough Salt (great scenery) and then into Termon (north of Kilmacrennan). Then onto the Glenveagh/Gweedore road.

This will bring you past Glenveagh National Park, views of Muckish mountain, past Errigal mountain (highest in Donegal) into Dunlewey and past the Poisoned Glen. You'll eventually come to Gweedore. Head for Bunbeg, Derrybeg and north along the Atlantic coast to Bloody Foreland and Meenaclady - with views of Tory Island.

Then on to Gortahork, Falcarragh and into Dunfanaghy. (If your legs are up to it, you could do a loop of Horn Head - sharp left as you enter Dunfanaghy and by GAA club).

After Dunfanaghy, it's on to Portnablagh and Creeslough. You can turn left at Creeslough to get back to Carrigart again.

Apart from Horn Head there are no savage climbs but there are a few long drags.

Thanks WB will give that a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

You can be sure when they "great scenery" there is going to some climbing to be done.

• Advertisement

I don't know if the ferry still running between Rathmullen and Fahan? If it is you could nip across to Innishowen and up to Clonmany to sacrifice yourself, your blood, sweat, tears and lungs on that high altar known as the Gap of Mamore. :D (The only time I've seen my Garmin display 27% - and then the bloody segment didn't register when I got home!).
    Iwernia wrote: »
    You can be sure when they "great scenery" there is going to some climbing to be done.
    Looks like Knockalla during a stage of the Donegal Rally?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don't know if the ferry still running between Rathmullen and Fahan?

Unfortunately the ferry is no longer running.

Advertisement