Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating Rent

Options
  • 12-08-2014 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Looking for a landlord's perspective on this. Would like to move out of my apartment as the complex is falling into disrepair. live in a small town in the midlands and there aren't many apartments. 2 bed apartments and townhouses are currently being advertised for way more than this time last year. One was 475 monthly last year and is almost 600 now. They have been in local papers since before the summer. I would pay 500. Is it madness to ring a landlord offering 100 less than their asking price? I know rents in cities have risen dramatically and that the situation in Dublin and college towns is nuts but has the midlands increased that dramatically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Depends on your ability to pay ,references and how long property could remain empty i.e demand in your town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

vamos! wrote: »
    Looking for a landlord's perspective on this. Would like to move out of my apartment as the complex is falling into disrepair. live in a small town in the midlands and there aren't many apartments. 2 bed apartments and townhouses are currently being advertised for way more than this time last year. One was 475 monthly last year and is almost 600 now. They have been in local papers since before the summer. I would pay 500. Is it madness to ring a landlord offering 100 less than their asking price? I know rents in cities have risen dramatically and that the situation in Dublin and college towns is nuts but has the midlands increased that dramatically?

Why not? You have nothing to lose. If demand is not high - which is possible if the property has been on the market for a few months, the LL might be willing to accept that. If you were willing to sign a long lease, say 18 months, it might be a sweetener for the LL if he knew he would have the property occupied for 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Thanks for the input. Will try the one I like. Don't want to be too pushy because I work in the small town and it's already a case of everyone knowing your business. I think these landlords might just be trying their luck based on talk of rent increases in the media. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

For anyone else in the same boat. I rang the owner last night and he agreed to my price so all good and moving at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

vamos! wrote: »
    For anyone else in the same boat. I rang the owner last night and he agreed to my price so all good and moving at the end of the month.

That's great news!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Just goes to show that the landlords outside the cities are chancing their arms with rent increases in line with high demand areas.

Advertisement