Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Dublin to Waterford (& back) this Saturday 16/08/2014

Options
  • 12-08-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I will be cycling to Waterford this Saturday 16/08/2014 if anyone wants to join me?

Route:

- Stepaside
    - Roundwood (shop stop)
    - Laragh
    - Rathdrum
    - Avoca
    - Arklow
    - Gorey (80k & breaky stop)
    - Courtown
    - Kilmuckridge (shop stop)
    - Curracloe
    - Wexford (135k & lunch stop)
    - New Ross (shop stop)
    - Waterford (195k)

Leaving at 6am on Saturday and staying in Dooleys hotel (€89 incl. continental breakfast).
    I expect to arrive 11hrs later after roughly 8hrs of pure cycle time.
    Up at 6am the following morning to complete the return trip, same route. (c. 390k / 400k total)

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I do a similar ride often enough, down to Duncannon / Passage east direction every now and again, though would take a slightly more meandering route after Rathdrum, going Aughrim / Tinahely / Shilelagh / Bunclody / Kiltealy / Adamstown / Newbaum. Not a fan of the main road myself, so tend to avoid the likes of the N25 / N30 / N11 etc... Slower slightly bumpier roads, but nicer scenery so the time goes by quick enough. Wexford / Wellingtonbridge / Passage East (Ferry) might make a nice alternative either there or on the way back. I doubt it will take you 11 hours elapsed, it typically takes me about 8 hours all in from Rathfarnham to Duncannon (~175k), and I'm slow on a bike by most peoples standards.

Enjoy it and best of luck.

Re passing through Curracloe above, any idea if the roads through the North Wexford Slobs would be suitable for a road bike. Looks possible from Google maps, and could be an interesting diversion on the coast road.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

smacl wrote: »
    Re passing through Curracloe above, any idea if the roads through the North Wexford Slobs would be suitable for a road bike. Looks possible from Google maps, and could be an interesting diversion on the coast road.

I could be wrong but I don't think they're public roads actually, think they're just for the use of people in the Wildlife Sanctuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lee.robert

Thanks smacl.

Roads are excellent quality from Gorey -> Courtown -> Curracloe -> Wexford and the views of the ocean make the trip v scenic, plus I usually go for a swim on route, so that helps. I bring my tt bike on the trip so a road bike would be no problem.

The only bad bad section is to Rathdrum. I dread that section.

All in all, it's a great route, with plenty of opportunities to stop.
    The familiarity factor is a draw for me as well.
    Looking forward to it already. :)

Oh actually you might be right re the slobs, I don't go near those, but on route I do see some by-roads have a "no shooting, no dogs" sign or a "private" sign.
    On the other hand some by-roads specifically have a cycling track sign.

• Advertisement

lee.robert wrote: »
    Thanks smacl.

Roads are excellent quality from Gorey -> Courtown -> Curracloe -> Wexford and the views of the ocean make the trip v scenic, plus I usually go for a swim on route, so that helps. I bring my tt bike on the trip so a road bike would be no problem.

The only bad bad section is to Rathdrum. I dread that section.

Sounds good, must try the coast road it next time I'm heading that way. Sad bastard that I am I actually quite like that Rathdrum road, though the road into Newbaun is something else again.

The coffee in Laragh on the way back is the only thing that keeps me going!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The road through the North Slob is definitely not open to public access. Some serious disputes there over the last few years even for the wildfowl management guys. Dont try to go through it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I usually ride down to Tramore few times a year.

A decent cafe en route would be nice.

ror_74 wrote: »
    I usually ride down to Tramore few times a year.

A decent cafe en route would be nice.

You'll do very well to better the Mad Hatter in Castledermot http://www.madhattercafe.ie/contact.html
    and the Blackberry Cafe in Thomastown http://www.theblackberrycafe.ie/

Both at perfect distance for a two stop route between Dublin & Waterford.

• Advertisement

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    You'll do very well to better the Mad Hatter in Castledermot http://www.madhattercafe.ie/contact.html
    and the Blackberry Cafe in Thomastown http://www.theblackberrycafe.ie/

Both at perfect distance for a two stop route between Dublin & Waterford.

Spot on, thank you sir.

Just need to stop riding the N11 :)

ror_74 wrote: »
    Just need to stop riding the N11 :)

DUBLIN - Tallaght - N81 - Blessington - Dunlavin - Castledermot - Carlow - Paulstown - Gowran - Thomastown - Ballyhale - Waterford - TRAMORE.

No dual carraigeway. Beautiful. Sorted

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    DUBLIN - Tallaght - N81 - Blessington - Dunlavin - Castledermot - Carlow - Paulstown - Gowran - Thomastown - Ballyhale - Waterford - TRAMORE.

No dual carraigeway. Beautiful. Sorted

Actually, Ive come back that way a few times but went from Thomastown through to Kilkenny, Athy, Kilcullen.

Liking the look of the cafe in Thomastown.

Advertisement