Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Croma/Vectra power steering issue

Options
  • 12-08-2014 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I drive a 2007 Fiat Croma 1.9D, which is largely an Opel Vectra under the skin.

I have been experiencing intermittent power steering loss, usually in a turn at low speed. Loses power steering assistance for a few seconds, then recovers.

Hydraulic power steering pump is driven by an electric motor. Cable to the motor from the battery seems OK. Battery is newish and alternator has been reconditioned.

I have found multiple forum postings regarding this problem on Croma and Vectra, nobody offering a solution. Has anyone come across it, and fixed it?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

is the power steering pump fluid level OK, or is there any signs of leakage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fulcrum99

Fluid level OK, no leakage

no leaks on the steering rack itself or pipes going In to the rack basically check the whole steering system for leaks and if its all dry and perfect the pump is just not doing its job and will need replacing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

This is a common fault on the Croma... You need to check the electrical connections on the steering rack, clean and reattach them. Had to do the job myself on my Croma before I sold it.

Connections on the steering rack, or on the power steering pump?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Sorry, the power supply cable to the pump.

I have had that checked - seems OK. Replace the cable?

did you get it sorted

No - keeping both hands on the steering wheel.

Not happened for a while now.

my cars doing the same sure it gets worse in time ( few months) i may get the new pump its annoying after a while I'm gonna do it next and just be done with it

• Advertisement

There are posts on Croma and Vectra forums from people who changed the power steering pump, and still have the issue. Pump is expensive! Cable, and possibly torque sensor, are the other options.

Advertisement