Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling car - worth fixing niggles?

Options
  • 12-08-2014 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm about to sell a 2002 Opel Corsa automatic. It's in good condition, has been regularly serviced by me, has NCT til 08/15 and tax for 6 months. It has about 66,000 miles.

It does have a few niggles though. The first is that the back section of the exhaust is blowing fairly loudly. The second is that the drop links are wearing out, giving clicking noises in low speed tight turns (CV boots are fine) and clonks over bumps. Finally, it has a few minor dings and scrapes as it was a learner car. I'll be advertising it for €2500 and looking for around €2200.

Is it worth fixing the exhaust and drop links, given the price? I'll be doing both myself as they're DIY jobs, but I'd like an opinion as to whether it's worth doing them. Finally, is there any point trying to touch up the scrapes?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

Hi all,

I'll be advertising it for €2500 and looking for around €2200.

Are you mad! Where did you come up with that figure??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Yes, I'm quite mad, thanks. I'm not in a hurry to sell, I just want to know if I should fix the issues I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I'm not in a hurry to sell

Probably for the best so... :pac:

For the kind of money that you will get for it (€1500 or so maybe?) I really wouldnt be bothered fixing anything unless its an absolute showstopper. I cant see the money youll spend on repairs being recouped in the sale price.

djimi wrote: »
    Probably for the best so... :pac:

For the kind of money that you will get for it (€1500 or so maybe?) I really wouldnt be bothered fixing anything unless its an absolute showstopper. I cant see the money youll spend on repairs being recouped in the sale price.

The price was just a guess really, I just want to pay a chunk off the new car. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 there are 49 x 2002 Opel Corsas currently for sale on DD, the median asking price is €1,400.

This an automatic model for sale for €1,400, it has been viewed 700 times, that should tell you something.....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-corsa-automatic/7347263

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The price was just a guess really, I just want to pay a chunk off the new car. Thanks

The most expensive automatic 2002 Corsa on DD is something like €1800. Several others are cheaper than that. Price it realistically and get rid of it would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

to sell as is, value it around half what you thought, and thats on the basis it's auto and therefore possibly more desirable to the right person.

Repair the back box and drop links for about €150 and it might sell at the same price, just a bit quicker. I'm assuming the chain isn't rattling it's head off like most of them do, if so it will be used against you as a bargening chip or will put some people of altogether.

Honestly, reassess your valuation on the car or you'll end up in the dreamer of the year thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

I'll be advertising it for €2500 and looking for around €2200.

GLWS

Repair the back box and drop links for about €150 and it might sell at the same price, just a bit quicker. I'm assuming the chain isn't rattling it's head off like most of them do, if so it will be used against you as a bargening chip or will put some people of altogether.

The timing chain is fine (it's a 1.2, they don't seem to give as much chain trouble). I'll reassess the value and stick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

30 quid on a pair of drop links and 40 for a s/h back box should do it. If someone wants to haggle over the price, don't give them a stick to beat you with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Depends on the car. I spent €600 or so on having my ST optimal when preparing it for sale. I was fishing for enthusiasts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

i'd do the back box as that would put a lot of people off when looking at it. As for the drop links if there not too bad id leave them, but if your fitting them yourself then they might be worth changing if they aren't too costly. And the scrapes, they are to be expected on a 12 year old car

In the end I got €1350 for it without fixing the niggles. About what I expected once I adjusted the price to be more realistic. Thanks for the input guys.

Advertisement