Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Project Eclipse

Options
  • 12-08-2014 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

I had a freelancer build me an app.

I am trying to open it in Eclipse so that I can become familiar and generate a working APK to upload.

At the moment the app has been uploaded live to google play and I am wondering if the errors I am seeing are because they have uploaded using their key and then decomplied?

Any ideas of how to fix these errors?

w34iEm.jpg

They are all related to files in SRC folder.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I am wondering if the errors I am seeing are because they have uploaded using their key and then decomplied?
    Firstly, those are warnings, not errors. If you look at the top left-hand corner of the window is tells you that there are "0 errors, 116 warnings".

Secondly, to answer your question, no.

So you've not actually explained what your problem is? Are you trying to run your app (unsigned) directly to a device, or export it, or what? What is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Thanks for reply.

I am trying to export the app so I can upload to google play with my own key.

I am just wondering what all these warnings mean.

The freelancer gave me all the files so I just imported to Eclipse with the hope that I can make a few changes then create new APK and upload.

I am trying to export the app so I can upload to google play with my own key.
    If already published, you'll need the original keystore file, otherwise the store will reject it.
    I am just wondering what all these warnings mean.
    Depends on what they're citing. Warnings are only that - warnings where something may not be implemented in the best possible way or in such a way that you could find problems arising later. So, you'll get a warning for hardcoding text into a layout textview, or for applying something like toLowerCase() without using a Locale. Much of the time it's about best practices, other times it's a head's up on potential common problems down the road, however they're only warnings and so your application will compile and run because they are only warnings, not errors.

As for what each means, read the description and Google it.

If already published, you'll need the original keystore file, otherwise the store will reject it.

Well that's the thing. I want to compile and create my own keystore so I can publish it from my end.

That's why initially I mentioned that maybe these warnings are just related to it been published with a key (keystore) already and that it is just something to do with a signature or similar.

I appreciate what you are saying about googling the individual warnings to see what they mean but as I said above I believe they are down to just one specific issue so that's why I was asking.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer. Things are much more clearer.

Well that's the thing. I want to compile and create my own keystore so I can publish it from my end.
    Well, you'll have problems doing so as it's already been published under a different keystore. At best you'll need to change the app's package name.
    That's why initially I mentioned that maybe these warnings are just related to it been published with a key (keystore) already and that it is just something to do with a signature or similar.
    Nope. Even a cursory glance at the descriptions appear to indicate otherwise. The only one that's fully visible is just warning that a depreciated object was used.
    I appreciate what you are saying about googling the individual warnings to see what they mean but as I said above I believe they are down to just one specific issue so that's why I was asking.
    Then Google one of the descriptions and find out. I suspect that you'll find multiple reasons for the warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

As The Corinthian says you won't be able to publish it with your own keystore as it has already been published to Google Play using a different keystore.

You will have to change the package name, sign it with your new keystore and then reupload the application as a different app.

Anyone that already has the app installed will have to them go and install your new version of the application. They will not recieve updates while on the old version signed with the old keystore under the old package name.

The warnings you are seeing are not related to signing with the keystore.

The intention was to publish it as a new app as there is no other way of getting the app running with the original keystore they provided. I tried uploading to Google play a few times with many errors and they seem related to the keystore being tied to their computers.

So the warnings are a mix of issues then.

I suppose I should just build the apk as it is and publish the new app and then check to see if these warning are causing any issues.

If yes I'll Google the issues individually and fix.

Thanks again for the help. Just learning this as I am going as I want to be able to edit elements of my app (mainly design) for the future.

Cheers!

The intention was to publish it as a new app as there is no other way of getting the app running with the original keystore they provided. I tried uploading to Google play a few times with many errors and they seem related to the keystore being tied to their computers.
    It's been a long time since I created a keystore, but I'm pretty sure that they're not tied to any specific machine. What error is occurring when you use their keystore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

if i had to guess, i'd say you're trying to upload an APK with the same version mumber as the one the dev uploaded. you need to increase the version number in AndroidManifest.xml everytime you want to upload a new version.

but we won't know until you tell copy and paste the errors you're seeing. or google the errors. you seem to be guessing the causes of why the app isn't uploading, no way is anything caused by a keystore being tied to a computer, keystores don't work like that.

you did well to get the app compling without errors in eclipse and only warnings. don't be so quick to give up on uploading a new version of the old app!

It's been a long time since I created a keystore, but I'm pretty sure that they're not tied to any specific machine. What error is occurring when you use their keystore?

This was the error message using the keystore they gave.

57vil3.jpg

• Advertisement

if i had to guess, i'd say you're trying to upload an APK with the same version mumber as the one the dev uploaded. you need to increase the version number in AndroidManifest.xml everytime you want to upload a new version.

I think Your probably right. Ill give a try again after I figure out how to increase the version number. Can this be done in Eclipse?

Thanks for the help!

They gave you the wrong keystore, in addition to your app version number needing to be incremented.

They gave you the wrong keystore, in addition to your app version number needing to be incremented.

I feel a bit silly now as that's pretty much what the error message is saying. However I did email them with that attached image and they explain I need to upload a new version with my own created keystore.

I just assumed they had given me the right keystore.

I emailed them again there so hopefully they can provide right keystore.

I also managed to change the version in AndroidManifest.xml

Appreciate the help with this.

However I did email them with that attached image and they explain I need to upload a new version with my own created keystore.
    This means that you will not be able to use the current listing or package name, and will need to change the latter[1] in your app and create a new shop front on Play to sell yours. TBH, I'm not sure why your developer intentionally published the app with their own keystore, as it essentially fscks you up.
    I also managed to change the version in AndroidManifest.xml
    Be sure to change both the version code and name:
    android:versionCode="1" android:versionName="1.0"

Although if you do end up republishing you might as well return to version 1 again.

[1] Right-click the project and select 'Android Tools' > 'Rename Application Package', then rename the package accordingly.

So they sent the right keystore and all went well. Was able to set up a beta on google play.

Since I am fairly close to getting this up and running on eclipse I am wondering if you can help with one more issue.

At the moment I can run the APK off my phone.

The issue is I cant seem to connect to the servers where all the data is stored. Basically I cant register or submit details from the phone.

I am wondering if I have all the bits imported in Eclipse.

Here is a screenshot image with Libs open as I think these are the elements I might need but don't know where to import from.

etWkfH.jpg

At a glance all your libs appear to be in the build path. The only thing that comes to mind is if they're not being exported when the app is built [1].

If not, you're on your own, I'm afraid. More correctly, you need someone to debug what's going on and take a look at what errors are being thrown up, then find and fix the issue - and there's a limit to how much free help I'll give. Did your developers not give you any documentation on set-up with the delivery?

[1] Right-click the project > Properties > Java Build Path > Order and Export, then make sure that the checkbox is selected.

That's no problem at all. I appreciate the help.

They gave me documentation but nothing that helps with the current issues.

I think I will figure it out with some time so no worries at all. It is a non commercial app and something just to develop on to help me learn how to build apps.

In saying that I should probably stop asking for help and actually figure stuff out for myself. :pac:

Thanks again for all the help.

boggy

I think I will figure it out with some time so no worries at all. It is a non commercial app and something just to develop on to help me learn how to build apps.

In saying that I should probably stop asking for help and actually figure stuff out for myself. :pac:
    Then I recommend these tutorials. I found them easy to follow and an invaluable resource in learning how to develop for Android.

Advertisement