Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video shows Rottweiler saving Chihuahua from jaws of Coyote

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Good to see positive stories about these dogs, for a change.
    Such beautiful animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Probably only saved it so he could eat it himself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dog protects member of its pack shocker....

bah... I'm so bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

When did pets become exempt from Mother nature ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A chihuahua called Trixxie is still alive.

Roll out the barrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I can barely make out a thing in that video!

But happy for the little fella and well done to the other dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Neighbours have lost pets to coyotes and fishercats. Both species hunt in packs and are relentless. The underneath is a happy ending to a terrifying attack:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2722390/Incredible-moment-Trixxie-Chihuahua-rescued-jaws-vicious-coyote-neighbor-Happy-Rottweiler.html

I thanked this, but then I realised that it is a link to a daily mail story..

now I feel all dirty.. and not in a good way :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Dog protects member of its pack shocker....

bah... I'm so bitter.

Jesus, you're so bitter? And you can do this? There is no pleasing some quadrupeds!

Natural History of Canis Lupus (the Grey Wolf)

Reproduction
    After a courtship that may last from days to months, wolves copulate during estrus, which occurs once per year and lasts 5-14 days. The receptive period may be as early as January in low latitudes or as late as April in high latitudes. During copulation the pair remains coupled for as long as 30 minutes, during which ejaculation occurs many times. Gestation lasts 63 days, and litters average six young. The young are born blind and helpless, usually in an underground burrow. The same den may be used year after year ( Mech, 1999).
    The female usually stays near the young for at least three weeks. During this time, the male and other pack members hunt and feed her and the pups. The pups' eyes open between 11 and 15 days of age, and they are weaned when 9 weeks old. Healthy pups join adults in their travels as early as October. In the wild, wolves do not breed until they are 2, 3, or 4 years of age. Both sexes may continue to breed through at least 10 years of age (Mech, 1999).

Longevity
    In the wild, wolves can live to be about 16 years of age (Mech, 1999).
    Terrestrial Ecology
    The wolf is a social animal, usually living in packs of 5-10 members, although packs of up to 36 have been reported. Generally wolf packs contain a set of parents (the "alpha pair") and some of the offspring of their past 2-3 litters.
    Wolves are primarily predators on ungulates, beavers, and hares, although almost any species of animal may be eaten, including any type of domestic animal.

Predators and Defense
    Humans are the only enemy of gray wolves.

everlast75 wrote: »
    I thanked this, but then I realised that it is a link to a daily mail story..

now I feel all dirty.. and not in a good way :(

You've been warned before about sipping too much chilled Prune Juice for breakfast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

In light of this thread, should we send the Rotweiller to Australia to fend against the dingo's?

Just to show there are no hard feelings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Jesus, you're so bitter? And you can do this? There is no pleasing some quadrupeds!

Natural History of Canis Lupus (the Grey Wolf)

Reproduction
    After a courtship that may last from days to months, wolves copulate during estrus, which occurs once per year and lasts 5-14 days. The receptive period may be as early as January in low latitudes or as late as April in high latitudes. During copulation the pair remains coupled for as long as 30 minutes, during which ejaculation occurs many times. Gestation lasts 63 days, and litters average six young. The young are born blind and helpless, usually in an underground burrow. The same den may be used year after year ( Mech, 1999).
    The female usually stays near the young for at least three weeks. During this time, the male and other pack members hunt and feed her and the pups. The pups' eyes open between 11 and 15 days of age, and they are weaned when 9 weeks old. Healthy pups join adults in their travels as early as October. In the wild, wolves do not breed until they are 2, 3, or 4 years of age. Both sexes may continue to breed through at least 10 years of age (Mech, 1999).

Longevity
    In the wild, wolves can live to be about 16 years of age (Mech, 1999).
    Terrestrial Ecology
    The wolf is a social animal, usually living in packs of 5-10 members, although packs of up to 36 have been reported. Generally wolf packs contain a set of parents (the "alpha pair") and some of the offspring of their past 2-3 litters.
    Wolves are primarily predators on ungulates, beavers, and hares, although almost any species of animal may be eaten, including any type of domestic animal.

Predators and Defense
    Humans are the only enemy of gray wolves.

Maybe I'm thinking more about my coyote brethren cheated out of a meal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Dog just wanted a scrap. is normal

Maybe I'm thinking more about my coyote brethren cheated out of a meal...

If only Darwin was still about ......... a wolf with empathy for another species :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Was that recorded on a 14 year ol nokia?

Great to see it all the same , love rotties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

'Chihuahua' is the Spanish translation of a native American word for 'little rat dog'

'Rottweiler' is German word for rat (rott) catcher (weiler)

In this case the rat catcher saved the rat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Karl Stein wrote: »
    'Chihuahua' is the Spanish translation of a native American word for 'little rat dog'

Uh huh. And Weil's disease is the rat-catcher disease.

Karl Stein wrote: »

Gracias Carlos und Danke Herr Stein :D

Advertisement