Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grand Seduction

Options
  • 12-08-2014 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭

I think this played at the JIFF this year and seems to be getting a cinema release here now too

I thought Taylor Kitsch was Sam Rockwell when I first saw the trailer :o

Newfoundland looks beautiful

The plot has been covered many times before in other films and tv shows but the casting of Gordon Pinsent and Brendan Gleeson makes me hopeful this could be decent

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Can't believe it's been 6 months since I saw it at JDIFF. Charming and funny film, those seeking another feel-good comedy like Waking Ned could do a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

e_e wrote: »
    those seeking another feel-good comedy like Waking Ned could do a lot worse.
    ...so you're saying it's probably not too similar to Last Night by the same director? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

...so you're saying it's probably not too similar to Last Night by the same director? :(
    From what I've heard about Last Night (haven't seen it yet) nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Didn't think it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Saw this today and was very disappointed.

Such a great setting (it is stunning) and a talented cast and it was just...wasted. Northern Exposure it is not.

Things that were supposed to be lighthearted and funny were either repeated to death
    the pink cricket clothes
    or were not funny but actually pretty fcuked up.
    I couldn't believe Gleeson's character lied about having a son who died. And then the doctor was like "meh, no big deal" when he found out. Not to mention them listening in on his phone calls and all laughing about what was said

It somehow managed to make all of the characters one-note. With a film like this you expect some of the minor characters to be like that but even the leads were just paper-thin.

Throw in a kind of disturbing message about the oil industry and that's pretty much it.

I just feel it could have been so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

It was fine but was done better in Local Hero nearly 30 something years ago. Taylor Kitsch gave his best performance to date and he indeed look a little like Sam Rockwell. Brendan Gleeson is always great and the other supporters are great. My problem with it is it could have been told in a 90 minutes but it's far outstays it welcome. The Gleeson wife storyline is so badly written, I feel bad for the actresses playing her. It's a nice watch on a Sunday afternoon but doesn't stay too long in the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 YossiA

Saw it last week, overhyped for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

YossiA wrote: »
    Saw it last week, overhyped for sure.

I got to be honest YossiA, it hasn't been getting top reviews. They been ranging from 2/5 t0 3/5, I personally haven't seen that many great reviews for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

I can see what they were trying to do with the film, its quite a good story, and a few laughs as well, but there was just something missing in it for me tbh!

I mean, imho it beats Calvary hands down as you dont leave feeling excessively down and depressed :rolleyes:, but I did prefer The Guard to this even though that wasnt anything incredable to me but still quite a good Irish movie

Id give this about 5/10, Calvary maybe 3/10 and The Guard about 7/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Watched this tonight.
    Girlfriend called every aspect of the ending after 30 minutes.
    For someone who is receiving much praise in recent times, Gleeson seems to be very disinterested in acting these days, putting in some awful performances.
    Not a good film at all, at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement