Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stuck already

Options
  • 11-08-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

hi guys....

trying to start off researching the family history..... im stuck already....

Im trying to get a date of birth for a Francis Mcnamara, Limerick... died february 3 1957... husband to elizabeth clancy.... I know its 1873 or 1874 but would like a date to continue further back along to his parents

I followed most links on the sticky but I'm at a loss now....

he's in the 1901 census as 28....

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you know where in Limerick? You'd want to try figure out which registration district he was born in to cut down the number of potential birth records.

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/image-files/registrardistrictsmapsouth2.jpg may help slightly in figuring out which district(s) he could be registered in.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

according to the 1901 and 1911 census he was in Limerick Urban no 2 if that helps

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Have you got his marriage cert (presuming that there is one) which should have his parents names on it?
    You could find them in the 1901 census and see where they're living.

I'm sure this is him

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FTRV-2TY

and maybe this

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F59K-1GH

even though the years are slightly off

whats the easiest way to get the marriage cert and is there any other information to be taken from the two census. I've started a free trial with ancestry as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

whats the easiest way to get the marriage cert and is there any other information to be taken from the two census. I've started a free trial with ancestry as well.

Find a match for both the names on familysearch (e.g. both names on the same volume and page) and order it from the GRO.

http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Irish-civil-registration.html details how to do all of that.

Until you know his parents name(s) they won't be much more to be obtained from the census for him, but with those there should be.

Cheers guys ,

I'll give that a lash so

I did a bit more snooping on ancestry there and came up with this..
    Would these be the details to submit to GRO. I know Elizabeth clancy is down as Mary Elizabeth Clancy but it lists Francis Mcnamara as a record on the page. what do you think

Name: Francis M'Namara
    Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1899
    Registration district: Limerick
    Volume: 5
    Page Number: 224
    FHL Film Number: 101259
    Records on Page:
    Name
    John Rail
    Margaret Tobin
    Francis M'Namara
    Thomas Clayton
    Mary Elizabeth Clancy
    Mary Burchill
    Bridget Brady
    Thomas Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

yep - pretty sure that's the right one, a civil and church marriage match on the RootsIreland index, with the bride as Mary Elizabeth, under Limerick City District No.1 and St. Mary's RC. If you use that site I'd suggest the civil cert - if it's a full transcript it should have father's names and occupations

Can you reword that please..... got a bit lost there

• Advertisement

yes - you have the correct Index entry to order a civil cert for Francis McNamara & Elizabeth Clancy aka Mary Elizabeth Clancy

I was just describing how I arrived at that conclusion..

p.s. you dont need the FHL Film Number reference for the GRO order, that's an internal FamilySearch detail

Ok so I finally got round to ordering those certs. I ordered 2 in total. In relation to my earlier query I got the marriage certificate for francis mcnamara.

Unfortunately i thought it would also give his mothers name

I had a feeling that I was after this Francis Mcnamara

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F59K-1GH

Luckily on his marriage cert his father is indeed John Mcnamara. Whats the best way to confirm that his mother is indeed margaret scott

On the other side I'm having trouble locating records for a Edmond Costelloe, father of a maria/marie costelloe birth 1858. Unsure of his age at the time. Possibly from a ''Clounana'' ( listed as residence of maria at time of marriage)

There should be a birth cert for an 1873 birth, which will have the mother's full name on it.

On Roots Ireland there is a 1873 marriage in Limerick between a John Mcnamara and a Margaret Scott. Perhaps worth getting along with the birth cert ?

Ponster wrote: »
    On Roots Ireland there is a 1873 marriage in Limerick between a John Mcnamara and a Margaret Scott. Perhaps worth getting along with the birth cert ?

Shotgun wedding maybe? Does it give a month...

Maybe :)

The only other people with the same name getting married in Ireland is in 1871 in Co. Down.

hey guys..... this is me cap in hand once again..

so I've got a marriage certificate for Jeremiah mullane in which his fathers name is listed as Timothy Mullane from Barnakyle County Limerick....

In my frustration a while ago in searching I just googled Timothy Mullane Barnakyle and low and behold a grave popped up in mount st laurence cemetery with the following insciption

Erected By
    Patrick Mullane
    In Loving Memory Of His Father
    Timothy Mullane
    Barnakyle
    Who Died 19th January 1897
    Aged 92 Years
    Also His Mother
    Johanna Mullane
    Died 6. Jan 1913 Aged 90 Years

Ive traced johanna mullane through the 1901 and 1911 census and it seems she must have moved in with her son patrick and his family in Killonahan before dying in 1913

Now since I know that jeremiah mullane was born circa 1854, can his birth cert still be requested or even accessed to prove or disaprove that johanna and this timothy mullane are his parents

http://mountsaintlawrence.limerick.ie/content/mullane-1897-2522

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Civil registration of births began in 1864 so you will have to try and get a baptismal record instead.

Would anyone with roots Ireland access be of any help

Or would that show church.... Names etc

Would anyone with roots Ireland access be of any help

Or would that show church.... Names etc

Roots doesn't have a subscription service. It's pay as you view so we can't help you get a transcription.

If though you search for a Jeremiah Mullane, with father Timothy, then you only get 2 results and 1 is in Limerick 1852. Could very well be your man.

• Advertisement

Cheers.... Think I need to just step back and look at the wider picture

I might stump up the fiver for roots Ireland so

bought the cert anyway...

good news its matches up alright.... and got a maiden name for johanna

thanks a lot for yer help so far....its all new to me..... At least I'm back to 1805 now....

At least I'm back to 1805 now....

Pretty good going in Ireland if you've (as is generally the case) agrarian Catholic ancestors.

Must go back a few generations now and start bulking up the info....

Does it kinda become impossible at this point

14 quid well spent so far but I've feeling that'll rise. I missed when GRO records were online so hopefully they'll return

Does it kinda become impossible at this point

Not always.

In my own tree I've found if I can hit someone born before 1820 I can usually get at least another generation, but not always - due to the serious regional differences in records - some areas have catholic records back to the 1700s, many don't.

If you can get an Anglican ancestor you're usually guaranteed to get back to the 1700s if not further.

The IFHF transcriptions are VERY patchy and its well worth seeing where they cover before spending a cent more on records. Good use of the search engine can eliminate a lot of records from contention. Also, most of what they have is free, without a search engine, in the National Library.

14 quid well spent so far but I've feeling that'll rise. I missed when GRO records were online so hopefully they'll return

The 'records' were an enhanced index of the ones that are already available online. The actual records were never available.

Ponster wrote: »
    The 'records' were an enhanced index of the ones that are already available online. The actual records were never available.

That's what I meant.....

Has anyone any suggestions on name variations for Edmund

Has anyone any suggestions on name variations for Edmund

variation of Edward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

On the other side I'm having trouble locating records for a Edmond Costelloe, father of a maria/marie costelloe birth 1858. Unsure of his age at the time. Possibly from a ''Clounana'' ( listed as residence of maria at time of marriage)

I'd wager that's Clounanna, between Adare and the Ferry Bridge. :)

Some leads for you:

Edmond Costello, born Shanagolden 1838, son of Daniel Costello and Honora Scanlon.

Edmd. Costello, born 1842 Rockhill/Bruree, son of Frances Costello (sic?) and Ellen Moran.

Edmond Costelloe, born Patrickswell 1846, son of Jn Cusack Costello and Margaret.

Edmond Costelloe, born Knockaderry 1846, son of Michael Costelloe and Cath. McKnight.

Edmd. Costelloe, born Croom 1847, son of James Costelloe and Johanna Houlihan.

I would be looking at the Patrickswell Edmond first. Clounanna has a Patrickwell address. :)

Advertisement