Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an alarm installed in a rental

Options
  • 11-08-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Had some terrible luck. We've just moved into our new rented house in D7 as of 2 days ago. One of my housemates came home and found the place had been broken into. Strangely the front and back doors, windows had all been locked but his bedroom door was kicked in and laptop taken. But other things like an iPad and tv were left behind. So we're waiting for the guards to come now. But my question is, what is our position in getting an alarm system installed? We deal with an estate agent and will be in contact with them asap tomorrow when their office reopens. Are they obliged to install one for us? What are people's thoughts on this. I would have thought these things are standard in rental properties since all of my last places had them. We're just raging because we've literally just moved into this place and this has happened. And it seemed a like a nice, quiet area too. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

And it seemed a like a nice, quiet area too.

They rarely target bad areas :)

I'm not sure this is covered under the minimum standards http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

If you don't have content insurance, it's probably worth looking into. At least you will have some piece of mind should something happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Taco Chips wrote: »
    Hi all,

Had some terrible luck. We've just moved into our new rented house in D7 as of 2 days ago. One of my housemates came home and found the place had been broken into. Strangely the front and back doors, windows had all been locked but his bedroom door was kicked in and laptop taken. But other things like an iPad and tv were left behind. So we're waiting for the guards to come now. But my question is, what is our position in getting an alarm system installed? We deal with an estate agent and will be in contact with them asap tomorrow when their office reopens. Are they obliged to install one for us? What are people's thoughts on this. I would have thought these things are standard in rental properties since all of my last places had them. We're just raging because we've literally just moved into this place and this has happened. And it seemed a like a nice, quiet area too. :(

Did you change the locks? Its the first I do in most rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

We're in the process of changing them now now. Gardai came and looked the place over. They said the lock on the front door may as well have not been there, it was no use. Going to ask the estate agent to help us secure the place to a better standard. Any advice on how we can approach this?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

What was the Guards asessment of the situation?

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    What was the Guards asessment of the situation?

That the existing locks on the door weren't good enough to make the house secure. That's about it. They did stay long or say much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

That the existing locks on the door weren't good enough to make the house secure. That's about it. They did stay long or say much.

I locked myself out of my house once, years ago, I was able to pop the front door open with an ATM card, which I forced into the door jam, no damage done (except to the ATM card).

Next place I moved to, I paid a lot more attention to the door locks.

I locked myself out of my house once, years ago, I was able to pop the front door open with an ATM card, which I forced into the door jam, no damage done (except to the ATM card).

Next place I moved to, I paid a lot more attention to the door locks.

The guards said actually that the lock could have been prised open with a credit card. Unbelievable! Especially since this happened so soon after moving in. We are raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Did you change the locks? Its the first I do in most rentals.

PLease ask the landlords permission before you do this! Its generally frowned upon, and may land you in trouble despite the safety benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi all,

An alarm is no good, how many people actually react to alarms these days. You need a monitored alarm these days and they still don't even call the Gardaí they just call you.

Your best bet is to improve the physical security, doors/windows/sheds etc, than having a machine that everyone ignores. Obviously this need to be cleared with your LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

PLease ask the landlords permission before you do this! Its generally frowned upon, and may land you in trouble despite the safety benefits.

Yeah, most get a little touchy. Then I ask them how long the locks have been in the door and how many tenants have been handed keys. I pay for the locks and they can have their barrels back when I leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Very sorry this has happened to you OP, but the LL is not obliged to install an alarm. You rented knowing there was no alarm. However, there is no harm in asking, in light of the break in, he may decide it is prudent to install one, but he is under no obligation to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Landlord is not obliged to install an alarm unfortunately but no harm asking. As a very rough price guide you would be looking at €700.00 on an average three bed house.

For contents insurance insurers will be looking for 5 lever mortice locks as minimum security. If you are changing locks you should also spend the extra on barrels such as Garrison locks which have a sacrificial break point designed to prevent 'lock snapping' which is a very common means of breaking in.

As regards opening a Yale type lock with a plastic slip a very good locksmith I used to use told me in his opinion only about 1 in a 100 doors will resist this method. Double locking will prevent it.

Advertisement