Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling trade show stand

Options
  • 11-08-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was in the process of setting up an Irish business and am now winding it down due to lack of finance (and progress!). I had booked a stand at a trade show in the UK (NEC Birmingham) for late November 2014. The stand cost is approx €1600 and I have so far paid 2 of 5 monthly instalments by standing order (approx €640). I have now cancelled the remaining monthly payments.

It is clearly written in the T&C's that cancellation fee is 100% after April 2014. I don't dispute that but what I'm wondering is - can anybody tell me from experience (or otherwise) what the likelihood is that the event organisers will pursue me legally for the remaining stand fees (approx €1000)? What type of tactics they might use to retrieve the balance (or damage me)?

It's a well-attended trade show which is sold out for exhibitors so they will most likely sell my stand to somebody else and get another €1600 for it (as well as the €640 I've paid). That's not a bad result for them!

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

You should take proper legal advice. Like the legal advice you took when you set up the business and where they probably suggested you should set up a limited liability company.

Frankly if you're not looking for legal advice and are, indeed, looking for people's experience isn't there an entrepreneurship forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks Bepolite,

Re-posted in 'Entrepreneurial & Business Management' here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91679027#post91679027

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Sorry I did not mean to sound harsh. My commiserations on the business, you've done something I never had the balls to do. (Here's hoping for sole trader status in a couple of years time). If you have another go round, I highly recommend looking into a limited liability company if you didn't this time.

Legal advice for small start-up can be found for free through the various groups; contact your local chamber of commerce.

Hypothetically I believe there is a duty to mitigate damages, but you really need to have the contract looked over properly. My practical suggestion would be to contact the venue and see what they can do for you.

Advertisement