Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

97 People in the Water after ''several'' vessels capsize in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 11-08-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Reports breaking on Sky News now, In Strangford Lough at least 97 people in the Water after numerous vessel capsized during freak storm - Major emergency declared - A dinghy race was being held, at least 13 emergency vessels en-route or already at the scene, both Garda helicopters in the South at the scene.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Here

rte.ie/news/2014/0811/636470-strangford/

bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-28745787

• Registered Users Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

East Down Yacht Club are hosting the GP 14 worlds at the moment, guessing a major squall swept through suddenly like we've been seeing around the country the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Six people so far rescued, over 90 remain in the water - conformation at least 80 boats have capsized and the rescue operation is in, ''a very early stage''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

On Sky News, this is the first comment on the news page:
    DC nffc
    Only the Irish would think of going to sea, in rough weather. In a Dinghy !!!!

:mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's a championship, they tend not to cancel unless it's fierce.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    It's a championship, they tend not to cancel unless it's fierce.

Also from the sounds it was a sudden squall which you can't predict

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

VinLieger wrote: »
    Also from the sounds it was a sudden squall which you can't predict

Yeah and given it's a worlds champs, they would be fairly experienced sailors, must have been nasty for that many of them to go over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I thought Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain?

Yeah and given it's a worlds champs, they would be fairly experienced sailors, must have been nasty for that many of them to go over

Exactly to put that many of them in the water it must have been pretty damn fierce. Hopefully nobody was injured and many were able to right their boats once it passed which with something that strong should be pretty quickly, the emergency they issued might just be a precaution

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly to put that many of them in the water it must have been pretty damn fierce. Hopefully nobody was injured and many were able to right their boats once it passed which with something that strong should be pretty quickly, the emergency they issued might just be a precaution

Those GP14s are a right horror to get back into once you've righted them.

• Advertisement

Those GP14s are a right horror to get back into once you've righted them.

Never actually been in a GP14 but they look awkward enough alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nope, back to geography school for you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You thought wrong it seems. Northern Ireland is part of Ireland, there's a clue in the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Nope, back to geography school for you!

You dirty pedant! :pac:

United Kingdom? :p

All have been accounted for Sky News just said by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Only when something ''good'' has been achieved will it be referred to as being in GB, anything negative the British Media like to then refer to NI as in Ireland.

McIlroy is a brilliant example, ''The British Golfer'' when winning tournaments and the ''Irish Golfer'' in most other cases.
    The same thing happens here in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I read dinghy and thought of this

Im an idiot

Hope everyone gets out safe!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

10 injured, most showing signs of hypothermia.

All accounted for, still searching to be sure.

All accounted for but I think that meant some are still in the water but they can see everybody.

Or have I taken the news report up wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

All accounted for but I think that meant some are still in the water but they can see everybody.

Or have I taken the news report up wrong?

I think that means they know where everyone is, and how they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭paulbok

Boat from Belfast sinks shocker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

h2005 wrote: »
    The same thing happens here in fairness.

Not really, as far as I can see they are always always called Irish, if they compete for the UK (for example in the olympics) they might stretch to calling them Northern Irish.

Even in non sporting news, as far as I can see on Irish news they're never called British no matter how negative the activity. Even if they are rioting or burning peoples property, it's just "loyalists" and "unionists".

paulbok wrote: »
    Boat from Belfast sinks shocker!

They arent in Belfast and the boats are from all over the world cus you know its world championship.

But gj at making a cheap ignorant joke when peoples safety is actually a real concern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Not really, as far as I can see they are always always called Irish, if they compete for the UK (for example in the olympics) they might stretch to calling them Northern Irish.

Even in non sporting news, as far as I can see on Irish news they're never called British no matter how negative the activity. Even if they are rioting or burning peoples property, it's just "loyalists" and "unionists".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wretcheddomain viewpost.gif

mad.png

user_offline.gifreport.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

/weeps a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

I thought twice bout bringing the dog for a walk and they go out in dingys.

Experienced me hole.

Bunch of halfwits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Experienced me hole.

Bunch of halfwits.
    This is a great word. It should be used more.

Experienced me hole.

Bunch of halfwits.

Its a world championships they were hit by a freak squall it happens, tbh im kinda impressed it took this long for someone like you who has no idea about sailing to come along and decide to be captain hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Experienced me hole.

Bunch of halfwits.

I always mock people when they like, do things with their lives and stuff. They should be more like me and sit on their arses in an office all day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

An incident like this one happened on Lough Derg on the Shannon last year. Hopefully all those affected were taken to safety.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    An incident like this one happened on Lough Derg on the Shannon last year. Hopefully all those affected were taken to safety.

Yeah that was the Mirror Worlds last year, again it was a squall that came out of nowhere, was pretty vicious from the photos I saw

Advertisement