Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First dirt bike advice?

Options
  • 11-08-2014 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi lads, I am currently saving up for my first dirt bike, the only bike I ever rid was a Honda Dominator 650 and it was only for about 25 minutes and I only went about 30km/h (not that im a granny but I didn't have the space) I have to say I didn't do too bad but still I don't have enough experience on motorbikes in general, I was wondering what dirt bike would suit me best, I am planning to buy a used one, should I go for a 4-stroke or a 2-stroke, would a 125cc be good for me? I weigh 82kg and my height is 179cm, what to look out for when buying a used dirt bike? I am thinking about gettting a kx125, thanks for the advice lads :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

125cc mx bikes are peaky and need maintenance.
    If you are just learning then a 200cc fourstroke will be fine to learn on and then you can progress and get a 2 stroker if you feel the need.
    DR200 or XR200 would be a better bet for a learner.
    Just make sure its been maintained well, oil changes and check the chain and sprockets for wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

+1
    A 4 stroke will be much kinder to learn on. Honda CRFs are reliable, maybe also consider the Yamaha TTRs and Kawasaki KLXs (all good learner bikes, but not prospective race bikes)...depends on your budget and what you're intending to do on the bike ultimately. Most KTM EXC Fs have the added luxury of electric starts which beginners will find a plus!
    Bear in mind that 4 stroke engines are more complex and older ones are called "ticking time bombs" because they're often not well-maintained and expensive to rebuild. So buy the newest you can afford and if any engine work's been carried out on it, ask for proof. Also check things such as rear shock and fork seals.

Advertisement