Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy Bills

Options
  • 11-08-2014 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Two quick questions. I have recently started renting in an apartment in Dublin and I was looking some advice on two issues:

1. Our hot water and heating is provided from a centralised system in the basement and managed by a company called frontline. First couple of bills I paid by internet transfer - then I got a call to say you have to set up a DD or you will have to pay €400 deposit. Are they entitled to ask this off me and am I entitled to say no?

2. Our electric is a similar situation - I think its Bord Gas who is the supplier - first bill arrived they are asking for the amount we used plus €300 deposit. I don't understand why they would ask for a deposit I don't have any of their equipment in my apartment so what need is there for a deposit? Should I or Do I have to pay this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not sure about the other company, but for Bord Gáis the requirement for a deposit when not paying by direct debit would have been outlined in the terms and conditions before you signed up.

No you don't have to pay it, but they don't have to provide you with electricity either.

Edit: The idea of the deposit is to minimise risk to them. If you're paying manually you might forget or be late with a payment. If you set up a direct debit that shifts responsibility for organising payment to them which is something they have control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I never signed anything with Bord Gas or Frontline - I signed a lease with the rental management company and the estate agent guy just asked me did I want to go with the standard energy provider.

If I pay the deposit they probably still don't have to provide me with electricity!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depends on what you call recent: ESB asked me to do something similar (E300 deposit) seven years ago.

(FWIW, Utility providers with fixed infrastructure and variable billing amount are one of the few types of company that I will do a Direct Debit with, because they have a genuine need to change the amount at each payment. And I figure they're large enough that they're not likely to do an extra large DD run and then leave the country.)

But I do find it odd that the rental company can just sign the OP up, without any direct contact between them and the utility company. How does the tenant get to see the terms and conditions?

OP, you should always get an opening meter reading yourself, don't rely on the an agent getting it right.

Advertisement