Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new server for plex

Options
  • 10-08-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

What is your budget? [€xxx] trying to keep it as low as possible

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] plex

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] have a few hard drives

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No] no will remote on to server

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Nope

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] Yes

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Should be able to build it my self

Have a few items picked out and looking for a second opinion ( sorry i dont know how to use the script)
    Mobo 39 pounds
    CPU 46
    Ram 4 gb 29
    Psu 430watt 30
    case 37

in total 181 pounds
    reason i am going for the mobo is i have a i5 3570k in my main rig which i will swap out when i buy a new cpu for my pc
    don't need a gpu for transcoding nor a ssd as pc will be always on
    does this look OK or are there better options out there for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Would about an AM1 build? It would be very frugal with the power when you have it on all day. You'd be as well off selling the 3570K if you want to switch for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

Monotype wrote: »
    Would about an AM1 build? It would be very frugal with the power when you have it on all day. You'd be as well off selling the 3570K if you want to switch for something else.

Yea would go amd but don't really know much about them? I know that cup is meant do be able to get a decent over clock on it and it's not breaking the bank

Yeah, if you were looking for a cheap gaming system or something, I'd say to get that CPU, but overclocking does not seem necessary for a system like that.
    When you want to keep it on all hours of the day, you should be considering power consumption.

Here's one possible combination.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-AD5350JAHMBOX-Extensions-Virtualization-Technology/dp/B00IOMFAQ0/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-AM1I-Mini-Motherboard-HDMI/dp/B00J3OQDN2

Cheers cheaper too :).. is that psu too much for that set up, all it will have is 2 may be 3 hdd attached and is there a better case ???

It's hard to get good quality PSUs that are low wattage. You could go for the 300W Be quiet L8. It's more expensive and I suppose there's a small advantage in that you'd closer to the centre of efficiency curve with the lower wattage.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Quiet-300W-Power-Supply/dp/B00DBHMJRQ/

You might get away with a power brick type PSU if you had a max of 3 hard drives.
    Here's what you want for that:
    jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Picopsu IMO are overpriced - I'm using these psu boards and they work fine. I believe they are made by Shenzhen Realan who from what I can tell make just about every aluminium itx case and accompanying psu out there, they are then re-branded and sold under different names.

If you are going to get a 12v power brick get one that is "LEVEL V" power efficient like this Channel well power brick (use parcel motel if ordering this postage is cheaper)

You could get one of those really small cases if you go this route.
    I think the one linked above has two SATA connectors and a molex (which you could get an adapter for to use another hard drive).

Also consider a case which can fit all your hard drives!
    For lots of storage, WD reds are good. For compact, consider 2.5'' laptop drives.

• Advertisement

I ll probably just go with the psu u posted just in case I need to expand the hard drives .. have two wd reds at the moment
    Just need to decide on a case
    Thanks monotype

Back again ... about to pull the trigger on this build just realised that mother board only had 2 sata ports. Can you Recommend An Other Motherboard

Thanks
    Was looking at this one http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AM1B-ITX/

Amazon don't have a great selection to be fair. The free delivery is a bit advantage though.

Hardwareversand charge €12, I think for delivery at the moment, but their stuff is cheaper. Be aware that they only take bank transfers or paypal for 3% extra.
    Here's the board you were looking at.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/164230/ASRock+AM1B-ITX%2C+AM1%2C+ITX.article

Some handy stuff there there like a USB 3 header. Why do they have that parallel port through?

If you want a higher end one that costs more:
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/164232/ASRock+AM1H-ITX%2C+AM1%2C+ITX.article

Yea that where I am actually ordering from.. amazon is just easier to navigate

Cheers again

Advertisement