Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RHEL v6

Options
  • 10-08-2014 8:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have it running in a VM for the last few days with a KDE Desktop. Does anyone have much Sys Admin experience with it? Have loved playing around with it, but I'm redeveloping a Software System and using it as an App Server in the Cloud.

Any good resources, so I can maximize it and ensure it's reliability and uptime?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If you have specific questions I can probably help.

As for any good resources, cyberciti.biz is excellent for all kinds of *nix related things, including RHEL. Check out fedoraforum.org*. Otherwise, just google.

*Why Fedoraforum.org? Because Fedora 12 and 13 is RHEL6.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

My main issue at the moment is ensuring that Cron jobs run as they need to. Finding out what processes are running at any given time would also be useful for testing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Itzy wrote: »
    My main issue at the moment is ensuring that Cron jobs run as they need to. Finding out what processes are running at any given time would also be useful for testing purposes.

cron emails any output to the user who owns the crontab, you could add output to your process and read your mail in the mornings until you're sure it's working as expected, then only enable mail when an issue arises (this will be triggered 2 years down the line and will fill up /var/mail after the issue has been occuring for 6 months </snark>)
    ps aux

or man ps if you need more specific options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Itzy wrote: »

You can also write cron jobs to a log file to make sure they've run - just direct the output if there is any (a wrapper script to timestamp the log entries would be helpful)

To see what processes are running by amount of resources used use the 'top' command. Also monit is very handy for managing processes, sort of a basic HA service.

Advertisement