Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1000k for racing bike - Canyon AL??

Options
  • 10-08-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

I've been tempted for some time to use the bike to work scheme for a road bike. I'm going to use the bike for 30-50km spins, once a week through winter, maybe a little more in summer. I commute on a hybrid, and have always cycled, so I know I want as good equipment as possible.

Originally I was thinking carbon frame with a minimum of 105 gear, and planet x seemed the best/only option, albeit a little above the budget. I have had a rethink, I don't really need a carbon frame at all, but I would really like to get the best possible gears and brakes.

So I was looking and reading up on lots of different "big brand" bikes, and checking in local bike shops. I can't seem to find anything with a 105 spec on a decent brand in any lbs. I'm in Dublin. I have read good things about the Canyon so might just take a plunge on the Canyon Roadlite AL http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/series/roadlite-al.html with the 105.

The other bikes I was considering were the Vitus range, but the wheels on the Canyon seem better.

I'm slightly concerned about buying a bike on the web that I have not tried, worried I might not find it "comfortable". I suppose what I am looking for input on is the following:

- can anyone recommend a better bang-for-buck for me, on or just above the 1k mark? Or something close in a bricks and mortar shop in Dublin?
    - is it possible I will find the bike uncomfortable? If so, is there any way I can find out before I buy, e.g. trying some other bikes with similar geometry

Thanks for reading!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

I've the Roadlite AL 6.0 bike in size M. It's a cracking bike and I love it. I'm based in North Dublin so if you wanna try it out for size, send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I've the Roadlite AL 6.0 bike in size M. It's a cracking bike and I love it. I'm based in North Dublin so if you wanna try it out for size, send me a PM.

Thanks, PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

How tall are you out of curiosity? Canyon recommended me a size S when I used the calculator on their website.

He's 5"11, I'm 6ft. It recommended a medium for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Thanks I'm 5'8". it's on the way so hopefully it's ok!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

WillyFXP wrote: »

Thanks. I was on that site earlier but never spotted that. Lovely looking bike and well regarded by all accounts.

Looks like the Rose will be the bike, unless I go for the "slightly" over budget Canyon with Ultegra.http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3193 I think that would be OTT though, I won't be doing huge mileage or anything serious. And by the time I pay for delivery and pedals and shoes, and I'm sure some other paraphernalia, I will be into another 100 euro at least. So maybe I should be good and stick to the Rose with 105.

Anyone out there got a Rose and info on comfort/service etc?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

have the rose crs3100, it's carbon with di2, so tough to compare exactly, but love the bike and cannot fault it. it's firm, you'll get a bit of a shaking on really rough roads, but the reward is you push and it goes. can't say enough about rose service, top notch, loads of dialogue with them and they are prompt and curteous

Looks like the Rose will be the bike, unless I go for the "slightly" over budget Canyon with Ultegra.http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3193 I think that would be OTT though, I won't be doing huge mileage or anything serious. And by the time I pay for delivery and pedals and shoes, and I'm sure some other paraphernalia, I will be into another 100 euro at least. So maybe I should be good and stick to the Rose with 105.

Anyone out there got a Rose and info on comfort/service etc?

My son has the 2013 version of the proSL 2000, quite stiff, but still very comfortable, as others have mentioned, Rose customer service is excellent.
    If you can afford it, upgrade the wheels from the mavics to DT swiss R23 splines.

• Advertisement

WillyFXP wrote: »
    My son has the 2013 version of the proSL 2000, quite stiff, but still very comfortable, as others have mentioned, Rose customer service is excellent.
    If you can afford it, upgrade the wheels from the mavics to DT swiss R23 splines.

Thanks for the input. In what way are they superior, do you mind me asking?

Looks like I need to add tyres to the basket I select them, can I select either 23 or 25mm tyres for those?

Sorry for dumb questions, total newbie here. I also need pedals. Are these ok? SHIMANO PD-R550-C seem like decent value at €42. Does reversible mean that you can wear normal shoes on one side?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Only thing I would say about that Rose is that it is awfully, awfully, white.

And will never be again once you take it out of the box. I've served my time trying to keep a white bike clean :(. -Get it in black! :)

Thanks for the input. In what way are they superior, do you mind me asking?

Looks like I need to add tyres to the basket I select them, can I select either 23 or 25mm tyres for those?

Sorry for dumb questions, total newbie here. I also need pedals. Are these ok? SHIMANO PD-R550-C seem like decent value at €42. Does reversible mean that you can wear normal shoes on one side?
    The DT swiss are just much better, more comfortable and a lot lighter. Choose the gp4000s 2's in 25mm. At the cost they are charging extra for that setup would cost more than €500 if you upgraded later. If you want to wear shoes that you can walk in comfortably get spd pedals, spd sl compatible shoes are not designed to walk in.

Thanks WillieFXP and all for the feedback. So it's the DT Swiss R 23 SPLINE with the Continental GP4000 S II. Going for the SHIMANO SPD PDA600 pedals.

Thinking of going for the Compact with the 11-32 cassette. There are lots of hills near me so might appreciate the extra few teeth above the standard 11-28, especially seeing as it is the 11 speed, and I have never owned anything like this so unlikely to "mind" what others see as drawbacks for the ratios.

If I am making any really obviously stupid choices here I'm all ears, the order is going to go in tomorrow!

I can see the lies beginning now, hiding new equipment, always wanting more stuff. I don't even have bottles or bottle cages, spare tube holders, the little bag thing for under the seat...the mind boggles! And shoes...

Thanks WillieFXP and all for the feedback. So it's the DT Swiss R 23 SPLINE with the Continental GP4000 S II. Going for the SHIMANO SPD PDA600 pedals.

Thinking of going for the Compact with the 11-32 cassette. There are lots of hills near me so might appreciate the extra few teeth above the standard 11-28, especially seeing as it is the 11 speed, and I have never owned anything like this so unlikely to "mind" what others see as drawbacks for the ratios.

If I am making any really obviously stupid choices here I'm all ears, the order is going to go in tomorrow!

I can see the lies beginning now, hiding new equipment, always wanting more stuff. I don't even have bottles or bottle cages, spare tube holders, the little bag thing for under the seat...the mind boggles! And shoes...
    Make sure you sign up for the rose loyalty card, you'll get 2 points for every euro spent, 1 point = 1 cent, so you'll get a minimum of €20 worth with your bike order, enough to get you started with accessories. 11-32 is a good choice for hills until you get your fitness up, you can change ratios later if you grow out of the 32, better doing this than having to get a new rear mech to accommodate the 32. The medium cage is backward compatible with smaller ratios, but the short cage wont run a 32 cog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Fairplay for all the info Willy. Currently looking at a winter "road" bike with Disc brakes and there is some food for thought in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Unknown Soldier,
    Have you received yet?
    Am looking at ordering similar and this thread has been very useful.
    One concern is on sizing, Rose calculator puts me at an in-between frame size (55.4). I would have expected it to select a 57 as I am 184CM (6') with 84cm inseam, 57 would also would match my current bike size.

Do you have any view on accuracy of their sizing calculator or did you talk to support people to clarify.

rtmie wrote: »
    Unknown Soldier,
    Have you received yet?
    Am looking at ordering similar and this thread has been very useful.
    One concern is on sizing, Rose calculator puts me at an in-between frame size (55.4). I would have expected it to select a 57 as I am 184CM (6') with 84cm inseam, 57 would also would match my current bike size.

Do you have any view on accuracy of their sizing calculator or did you talk to support people to clarify.

email them with the questions, i had multiple emails with them checking and double checking the sizes, i could have gone with a couple of sizes and they were happy enough to work through the options with me.

for what it's worth, i'm 6'1, and on a 57.

They don't seem the best on email replies, like it takes a few days minimum to get back.

Also, their website seems to be a bit dicky, trying to select different wheels on a particular model and it won't let me, the spinner just keeps spinning when I click an alternative option in the pop up. I think I am going to break the bank and go for the Pro SL 3000 2014 http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-pro-sl-3000-2014/aid:668381, full Ultegra for €1349 with a good frame seems great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

€1000k is one million euros. Seems a bit steep

• Advertisement

Thanks Mossym,
    That's reassuring, am a snidge over 6 fot myself but wouldn't claim 6-1!.
    I'll email them in any case.
    BTW you didn't say but are you happy with the bike?

Thanks Boardsmember
    I'll lash off an email now. Am awaiting next pay month and clearance from domestic financial controller so a couple of days waiting on an email response is not a problem.

rtmie wrote: »
    Thanks Mossym,
    That's reassuring, am a snidge over 6 fot myself but wouldn't claim 6-1!.
    I'll email them in any case.
    BTW you didn't say but are you happy with the bike?

see post number 10 :)

in my experience they were back pretty quickly with email replies, 24 hours at most, often a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

tenifan wrote: »
    €1000k is one million euros. Seems a bit steep

It's a lot all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I ordered this same bike last week. 6 week wait for assembly and delivery at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I am just wondering how often the Canon AL come into stock? They seem to be sold out now in M/L frames, and what sized frame would you guys recommend for a person that is 6ft tall

I looked at this too, I don't think they will have any more 2014 stock. It might be worth dropping them an email. I think the large is the right size for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I'm 6'1 and I went for their xl or 60cm. I find it good I was cramped on my halfords bike before which was ment to be a large.

Best thing you can do is measure your legs and arms ect. And then go onto their web site and see if the sizing of bike you plan on buying.

I could have also got the 58cm and it would have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I'm just under 6ft tall and have the Canyon Roadlite AL in size M.
    Bought mine this time last year and at that time the 2013 stock was running out so I got the first of the 2014.
    I'd expect the 2015 range will be unveiled very shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

I'm 5'10" and the M roadlite fits like a glove.

Advertisement