Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E 1500 build

Options
  • 10-08-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hey guys looking to put a build together for around E 1500. I am mainly looking to run Star Citizen and Elite dangerous and hopefully everything else at Ultra. I have a build idea here http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/GcZwmG . This works out around E 1200 on hardwareversand I have a monitor keyboard and mouse at the moment but will hopefully upgrade them after I get all of this together. The size of the power supply is for when I have enough to get a second R9 to crossfire. I'm not bothered by the case either if there's any other recommendations I would be open to looking at them.

1. What is your budget? E 1500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming on Ultra

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?Hoping to go to 144hz

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No will get seperately

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes
    8. How can you pay? Paypal ,Visa, Bank Transfer

9. When are you purchasing? [This Week

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Gonna do it all myself hopefully:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Something like a 550W PSU should be plenty.

Wireless isn't a good idea for a gaming PC, if you can avoid it. Get wired, if possible, otherwise look at homeplugs (buy from amazon or somewhere, not hardwareversand as you'll need the right plug type).

144Hz? What monitor is this? Resolution? Model?

I'd get the lower profile RAM just because that one can be annoying for some heatsinks. Probably no problem with the 212 EVO, but you don't want to run into problems later. They sell low profile versions of that RAM.

Edit: I assume you don't need a DVD drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Monotype wrote: »
    Something like a 550W PSU should be plenty.

Wireless isn't a good idea for a gaming PC, if you can avoid it. Get wired, if possible, otherwise look at homeplugs (buy from amazon or somewhere, not hardwareversand as you'll need the right plug type).

144Hz? What monitor is this? Resolution? Model?

I'd get the lower profile RAM just because that one can be annoying for some heatsinks. Probably no problem with the 212 EVO, but you don't want to run into problems later. They sell low profile versions of that RAM.

Edit: I assume you don't need a DVD drive?

The PSU is for when I get a second GPU or ill the 550w power both.

The wireless is just a back up it will be wired in 99% of the time.

I was thinking something like this guy http://www.ebay.ie/itm/QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-II-Multi-TRUE10-SE-27-2560x1440-Monitor-Overclockable-/121362628914?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c41c6c132

Yeah Il swap out the ram for a low pro one

No DVD drive needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I doubt you'll get 144Hz with that monitor. Probably 110Hz or so. However, on mine I can't tell the difference between 60 and 100!
    That said, it's an excellent choice of monitor. Don't forget that you'll be paying import duties on that.

Monotype wrote: »
    I doubt you'll get 144Hz with that monitor. Probably 110Hz or so. However, on mine I can't tell the difference between 60 and 100!
    That said, it's an excellent choice of monitor. Don't forget that you'll be paying import duties on that.

Well I hear they are much better so I want to see for myself it will be a while before I get it anyway Im gonna try get the main build set up first and hopefully add bits like this as I go on.

So this will be the build im going with if anybody else wants to look: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wz3grH
    Have been flat out all week so only getting around to it now so hopefully order on sunday unless anybody else has any other tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Are you sure on the R9 290 or are you open to suggestions? Here's something I would suggest for 1500EUR:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Y7Qcgs

Are you sure on the R9 290 or are you open to suggestions? Here's something I would suggest for 1500EUR:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Y7Qcgs

Always open to suggestions. What would be the advantage of these in SLI over R9 290's I was hoping to get a second one after a while I just wanted to get the build together first. And thanks for the reply. If you have any other suggestions fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Always open to suggestions. What would be the advantage of these in SLI over R9 290's I was hoping to get a second one after a while I just wanted to get the build together first. And thanks for the reply. If you have any other suggestions fire away.

Just a suggestion as I thought you were only getting a single 290 over two in Crossfire. Performance will be slightly better on 290's in crossfire, but then you're losing out some Nvidia specific features like Advanced PhysX and ShadowPlay. SLI seems to be more stable over Crossfire as well. Both will do the job very well though, if you were to add in two 290s you'd be looking at around €1670 right now judging by PCPP.

Just a suggestion as I thought you were only getting a single 290 over two in Crossfire. Performance will be slightly better on 290's in crossfire, but then you're losing out some Nvidia specific features like Advanced PhysX and ShadowPlay. SLI seems to be more stable over Crossfire as well. Both will do the job very well though, if you were to add in two 290s you'd be looking at around €1670 right now judging by PCPP.

I was planning on getting the second one maybe after christmas and for the moment just having the one as I want this build mainly for Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. So I would be leaning towards whichever will run these smoother and I was picking the 290's as they were the slightly cheaper one aswel. The E1500 was just a guideline for the start of the build with the second r9 being added later.

Advertisement