Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Masters Qualifier for MSc in Computing

Options
  • 10-08-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been accepted on the Masters Qualifier for MSc in Computing
    Part time - DT265C
    in DIT.

Registration for the course is in September and I'm feeling a little anxious about whether I should commit to it then, and was hoping for some feedback here maybe from people starting something like this.

I'm in my 40's and married with two young kids (2 + 6 months old). My wife is a stay at home mum so I'm the only income earner with a mortgage but thankfully a steady job.

I finished college more than 20 years ago and was never a fantastic student (more interested in chasing girls and partying than anything else). I'd like to think I have a far more sensible head on my shoulders these days though.

I work in IT but not in the area the conversion course is in. Actually I think the Masters itself might possibly be less challenging as I have experience in the area of the stream I want to do).

I haven't studied hard in a very long time, and with family and work commitments I wonder if i'm up to the challenge.

I'd love some feedback from anyone in a similar situation to me that has gone through this , especially if it was a discipline like computer science?

Thanks for reading!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Hi Supercell, did you join the course in the end?

I'm applying for it now and wondering if you have any feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yes, I'm doing it at the moment.
    I'm enjoying it for the most part, one of the three subjects we are doing this semester isn't really my cup of tea but after the first semester (mid January) it is finished thankfully!
    The course starts off easy enough but after about a month I found it started getting more meaty and if you don't study every weekend you will fall behind and if, like me , with work and kids , catching up is very very hard to do.

If you are the type of person who will diligently study every week even when you have work and family commitments then go for it, if you dont think thats for you then it's a lot of money to waste! (It cost €2,305 IIRC )

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

Hey there,

Any update on how you got on?

Any words of advice after finishing this course?

Will you be going onto the masters? Feel you will be prepared for it? Feel it was worth it?

In the same boat as you were with your first post!

Hi Eoin,

Yes I enjoyed the course hugely. I learned a lot, and it was nice to see all the years of alcohol abuse and old age haven't killed of all my brain cells completely!
    I found it a bit weird at the beginning to be back in college but it was nice to get away from family and work for a few hours truth be told and do something mentally stimulating.

I quite enjoyed most of the subjects, did better in some than others, which was a reflection more of effort put in than anything else. Definitely you need to put the time time in to keep up, the Web design, Python and Information systems modules had the highest workload from my perspective, and would be especially easy to fall behind on if you still go out on the lash every weekend! The Python and Informations systems modules were definitely for me the hardest ones for me to understand, the Web Design one was OK but there was a lot of assignment work on that.

To my knowledge only one person dropped out during the year (they were non native english speaking and I think that was a major part of it). While I don't obviously know everyones elses scores, I'm reasonably sure most on the course got the 50% overall score needed to progress to do the Masters.

Would I recommend it, definitely, go for it!

Supercell wrote: »
    Hi Eoin,

Definitely you need to put the time time in to keep up, the Web design, Python and Information systems modules had the highest workload from my perspective, and would be especially easy to fall behind on if you still go out on the lash every weekend! The Python and Informations systems modules were definitely for me the hardest ones for me to understand, the Web Design one was OK but there was a lot of assignment work on that.

To my knowledge only one person dropped out during the year (they were non native english speaking and I think that was a major part of it). While I don't obviously know everyones elses scores, I'm reasonably sure most on the course got the 50% overall score needed to progress to do the Masters.

Would I recommend it, definitely, go for it!

Brilliant, that sounds reasonable so far! Did you do part time or full time?
    How many extra hours study were you putting in per week?

I am trying to decide between the Masters Qualifeir > Masters Vs the higher diploma with work placement and then maybe masters after.
    Guess i am just a little worried that i'd be rushing too much information with the masters route.

Are you going on to do the masters now?

• Advertisement

I was doing roughly a half day study each day of the weekend, so i would guess about 8 -10 hours most weeks(a bit more when assignments were due), and a lot more at the end of each semester preparing for the exams.

I did the course part time, so three evenings each week lectures and labs (practicing stuff you learned in the lecture basically).

I did find it a bit of a shock to the system to be back studying after about a 20 year break, I often wondered what it was like for the full time students which have double the workload. Personally I think if i had been hit with that at the beginning I think i might have panicked a bit.

I am going on to do a masters yes, i am expecting the work load to be much higher than on the qualifier but at least I'm kind of back in the swing of things again so it should be tough but doable with effort and determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tubris

eoinp11 wrote: »

In the same boat as you were with your first post!

Hi Eoin,

Was wondering when you applied? Applied late myself and haven't heard back as yet. Not feeling optimistic now!

tubris wrote: »
    Hi Eoin,

Was wondering when you applied? Applied late myself and haven't heard back as yet. Not feeling optimistic now!

Hey, have you heard back yet?

I applied quite a while ago to the college, but was put on the long finger as an "exceptional candidate" as i didn't meet the entry requirements and they had to review my application. But i heard back weeks ago at this stage.

I have applied via springboard and am still waiting to hear from them.

Supercell wrote: »
    I was doing roughly a half day study each day of the weekend, so i would guess about 8 -10 hours most weeks(a bit more when assignments were due), and a lot more at the end of each semester preparing for the exams.

I did the course part time, so three evenings each week lectures and labs (practicing stuff you learned in the lecture basically).

I did find it a bit of a shock to the system to be back studying after about a 20 year break, I often wondered what it was like for the full time students which have double the workload. Personally I think if i had been hit with that at the beginning I think i might have panicked a bit.

I am going on to do a masters yes, i am expecting the work load to be much higher than on the qualifier but at least I'm kind of back in the swing of things again so it should be tough but doable with effort and determination.

Yea i would imagine that they hit you with a lot specifically to prepare you for what is to come. Thanks for the info. i have applied for the springboard HDIP as the free fees would outweigh all other factors i think. If i don't get that then i will be choosing between the qualifier and the HDip. Which i still think i'd go for the Hdip due to work experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ingamacukaite

Hello everyone, I just got accepted to DIT college :) happy days ha
    Is any one else got accepted?

• Advertisement

Hello everyone, I just got accepted to DIT college :) happy days ha
    Is any one else got accepted?

Accepted for both the Hdip and the masters qualifier! Awaiting to hear about the Hdip via springboard (which i'll deffo be doing if offered).. what did you get accepted for? Did you apply for anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tubris

eoinp11 wrote: »
    Hey, have you heard back yet?

I did. They must have wanted me to suffer a little first!

tubris wrote: »
    I did. They must have wanted me to suffer a little first!

for the msc qualifier? think ill be going with the hdip + work exp route then onto the masters

• Registered Users Posts: 1 laidey

Hi, was the first semester exam after or before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bemird

Hi Supercell,
    I am civil engineering graduate and I would like to take master qualifiers this january. I have some queries about the course if you could answer them it would be great for me.
    Firstly you said this course were difficult for non native speakers. Could you explain it more. To be honest I am good at maths but I can not say the same for my english.
    I wonder when we complete only master qualifier can we apply master degrees at UCD or DCU.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭don corleone

Hi all

I too am in the position of looking at a 'Big Data' degree. Due to price of the fees I have ruled out the UCD course. I am mainly looking at the DIT one. I have been told I will be eligible to apply as I am an electronic eng graduate and working with some data at the moment in the current job Im in. 

Is anyone here on either the DIT MS in Data Analytics or the Blanch IT one? I did a distance learning degree before like the style of the blanch IT one and I have to say as convenient as it was not having to attend lectures I found it hard to truly grasp the material with limited lecturer contact. I think the DIT one appeals to me more for this reason.

Advertisement