Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Restaurants/cafes/shops

Options
  • 10-08-2014 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Here in London, every high street is beginning to look identical..costa, subway, starbucks, pret, superdrug, macdonalds, whetherspoons etc etc..Personally I can't stand them..I think they are tacky and take the soul and character out of a place.

Mass boycott is the answer;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Terrible answer!
    I stopped going to mass years ago; it didn't affect the growth of Starbucks one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The benefit is you arent looking at a bunch of different places and have no idea which is good and if they are worth the price. You can be hungry, see a burger king and know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

The benefit is you arent looking at a bunch of different places and have no idea which is good and if they are worth the price. You can be hungry, see a burger king and know what to expect.

Google reviews are pretty reliable these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I agree OP, chains are pushing out local businesses which doesn't have the same kind of backing. In US it's even worse with each mall having the same shops as the next.

biko wrote: »
    I agree OP, chains are pushing out local businesses which doesn't have the same kind of backing. In US it's even worse with each mall having the same shops as the next.

I can imagine, I went to the westfield yesterday in shepards bush..nearly pulled my hair out, never again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You can be hungry, see a burger king and know what to expect.
    You can expect to still be hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You better hurry up, this place is becoming a starbucks soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Subway is gorgeous, I don't get why people go to Costa and place though, it's the same as any other coffee shop..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I don't get why people go to Costa and place though, it's the same as any other coffee shop..

Nicer staff and toilets.

• Advertisement

Subway is gorgeous, I don't get why people go to Costa and place though, it's the same as any other coffee shop..

Aparrently the smell is artificial to attract custom.

Awful place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I never use McDonald's, Subway or Costa but obviously many people do or they wouldn't be there. Somebody must prefer these chains and fair enough. To each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There are currently 27 Pret a Manger shops to every 1 person in central London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

Pret is cheap fills you up. Its a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

As much as I dislike all the chains (can hardly tell the difference between a main st in Dublin, Belfast or Liverpool), Nero make a mean cheesecake. Good lord it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's weird in a way that chains are so more dominant than they were 20 years ago around Dublin, but at the same time we have much more diversity of choice than we used to if we want to eat out, outside of the chains or in smaller 'chains' like Pablo Picante, some of the sushi places, etc.

So on the other hand 20 years ago we weren't being flooded by the likes of McDonald's, Starbucks, etc but on the other hand it was far harder to find non European food, with Chi see and Indian being two exceptions. Though a lot of people would just order 3 in 1s,chicken and chips etc from those places rather than the authentic stuff (and especially with Chinese places, even today if you go in and ask for the 'real' menu they will give you a whole different menu to what they advertise, with much better quality food than they serve the masses).

Still waiting for somewhere that does good last though, or Turkish bread sandwiches. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

biko wrote: »

When I used to travel around the UK, I found you almost had to remember where you were. All the high streets were near identical - Nottingham? Derby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

lufties wrote: »
    Here in London, every high street is beginning to look identical..costa, subway, starbucks, pret, superdrug, macdonalds, whetherspoons etc etc..Personally I can't stand them..I think they are tacky and take the soul and character out of a place.

Mass boycott is the answer;)

Totally agree. Especially chain coffee shops. Horrible clinical places.

Advertisement