Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about third provisional/driving test

Options
  • 10-08-2014 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I need some help as the people in the NDLS werent even sure how this would work. I got my first provisional (as it was back then in 2007) and a second (learners permit) in 2009. I stopped driving for a few years shortly after that as I didnt need the car in Dublin.

My question now is, when I reapply for my test will the rules of needing so many driving lessons etc... apply. I can get a permit to do the test no issue but nobody seems to know whether or not because I had my first provisional in 2007 if I need to show proof of having done so many lessons, which if I'm honest I'd rather not have to fork out for all over again.

Cheers for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Vologda69

If your most recent permit Is not expired by more than 5 years, then you will not have to do the 12 EDT lessons or have proof of them (the RSA can simply check that your first permit was issued prior to the new regulations). However you will need to have proof that you have applied to sit the driving test before the NDLS will issue a new permit.
    placebo29 wrote: »
    Hi,

I need some help as the people in the NDLS werent even sure how this would work. I got my first provisional (as it was back then in 2007) and a second (learners permit) in 2009. I stopped driving for a few years shortly after that as I didnt need the car in Dublin.

My question now is, when I reapply for my test will the rules of needing so many driving lessons etc... apply. I can get a permit to do the test no issue but nobody seems to know whether or not because I had my first provisional in 2007 if I need to show proof of having done so many lessons, which if I'm honest I'd rather not have to fork out for all over again.

Cheers for any input.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That is shocking that the NDLS staff could not answer such a bog standard question.

Give the RSA a ring. Give them your name, address (where you lived when the last learner permit was issued) date of birth & PPS number. They will be able to give you the precise date of when the 2009 learner permit was issued & what date it expired on.The precise date matters, as if has been expired for more than 5 years, then you will have to start from scratch all over again, including doing the theory test, eye exam, & the 12 EDT lessons. Any lessons you may have done in the past won't count. If that date when the license has been expired for 5 years has come and gone, you are out of luck.

If that date isn't until later in the year, then you are in luck. Once you get you learner permit renewed before the 5 years are up, you don't have to do the 12 mandatory lessons, or any of the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I'm also interested in renewing my provisional licence, its expired since March 2012. I know the 12 lessons aren't necessary, but do I still need to prove I've attempted my driving test or is that regulation only for people who got theirs before the law changed?

If anyone can quote NDLS that would be great, as I can't find anything on their site.

Thanks,
    Michael

If your previous licence has a 992 notation on it, then yes, you need proof of an application for a driving test. This has always been a requirement, regardless of what date you first got your licence.
    karaokeman wrote: »
    I'm also interested in renewing my provisional licence, its expired since March 2012. I know the 12 lessons aren't necessary, but do I still need to prove I've attempted my driving test or is that regulation only for people who got theirs before the law changed?

If anyone can quote NDLS that would be great, as I can't find anything on their site.

Thanks,
    Michael

Vologda69 wrote: »
    If your previous licence has a 992 notation on it, then yes, you need proof of an application for a driving test. This has always been a requirement, regardless of what date you first got your licence.

OK, thanks. If that's the case would I be allowed to renew my provisional now and then apply for a driving test?

• Advertisement

I'm Afraid not, they won't renew it without proof of test. You simply need your driver number to book the test. You can defer the test twice I believe before you lose your money.
    OK, thanks. If that's the case would I be allowed to renew my provisional now and then apply for a driving test?

Vologda69 wrote: »
    I'm Afraid not, they won't renew it without proof of test. You simply need your driver number to book the test. You can defer the test twice I believe before you lose your money.

But I never applied for a full (non-theory) driving test. Is there no way I can renew it now without starting over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

But I never applied for a full (non-theory) driving test. Is there no way I can renew it now without starting over?

You can apply for the test without a licence. Once you have applied to take the test you can apply for the permit.

Advertisement