Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My uncles situation

Options
  • 10-08-2014 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I taught Id share this to you as an example of how badly men are treated after a divorce.

About 7 years ago my uncle got a divorce, he had one child with this woman and raised the woman's other child(his step child).
    My uncle has his own business and several property's

His ex didn't want to stay in the family home and he was ordered to buy her a new one which he is still paying the mortgage on.

He had to sell one of his property's which she had never put a penny into and give her half.

She lives in the new house paying nothing towards it, with her new boyfriend and child and my uncles child.
    She works and so does her new fella In a free home.

My uncle remarried and has 3 kids now with his new wife. His ex texts him whenever she needs more moment for his child with her despite having now mortgage/rent and two incomes coming in. And if she doesn't get it puts the child up to asking the father why didn't you give mam the money.

He would be better off getting a log cabin putting it in his mothers back garden and declaring bankruptcy.

Comments

There is no point getting married if you have assets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The person with the assets gets sliced and diced.

My friend was the primary earner in her marriage. She has had to buy him a house, plus buy him out of her own house even though she lives there and houses their 4 children there, and is being persued by various agencies for his gambling debts.... Run up after they legally separated.

All I can say is marry up, or at least someone with relatively equal earning power.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pwurple wrote: »
    The person with the assets gets sliced and diced.
    This. Traditionally it was the man, but with more women graduates these days it's likely women will start to take a financial hit in the future.

Marriage can be a risky venture. Not so much here with a 1 in 5 risk of divorce(IIRC), but in culture like the US and others where the risk is 1 in 2 it's one helluva risk if you've anything like substantial assets going on(TBH if I was an American bloke thinking of getting married in my 20's I'd get tested for insanity). Doubly so for men as the majority of divorces are instigated by women and even if your assets are on par, when children are involved the woman in the majority of cases gets custody which usually means the family home so that's another financial hit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Like so much else the law we have inherited is an ass, rooted in the past and flowering bitterly in the present in people's lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

If you ain't no chump, holla we want pre-nup!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

Wibbs wrote: »
    This. Traditionally it was the man, but with more women graduates these days it's likely women will start to take a financial hit in the future.

Marriage can be a risky venture. Not so much here with a 1 in 5 risk of divorce(IIRC), but in culture like the US and others where the risk is 1 in 2 it's one helluva risk if you've anything like substantial assets going on(TBH if I was an American bloke thinking of getting married in my 20's I'd get tested for insanity). Doubly so for men as the majority of divorces are instigated by women and even if your assets are on par, when children are involved the woman in the majority of cases gets custody which usually means the family home so that's another financial hit.

The risk isnt actually 1 in 2. The stats are distorted by people like Liz Taylor who marry 8 times.

ANd that 1 in 5 figure for Ireland. So many people don't bother getting divorced. They just stay in seperated limbo forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Should her new boyfriend not be providing him with rent money for living in the house he is paying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭AdolfHipster

WE WANT PRENUP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

This kind of thing always seems so counter-intuitive.

You live with someone who earns more than you and supports you. They are investing in you because you are part of their lives and they love you. You instigate the divorce, and eventually they have to pay you money. :confused: Crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

How apt, Robin Williams said divorce is the latin word for rip a mans genitals out through his wallet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Wompa1

WE WANT PRENUP!

Becareful what you wish for. Micheal Strahan in the US had a pre-nup with a stipulation that if he cheated, he would have to pay her something like 5 million dollars.

Well, he cheated. The divorce was arranged. Her lawyers got the prenup thrown out of court and took half of everything he earned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Tell me again why we introduced divorce in this country?

Why should a woman be entitled to one penny of her husband's money?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

Mike747 wrote: »
    Tell me again why we introduced divorce in this country?

Why should a woman be entitled to one penny of her husband's money?
    Don't worry I'm sure this will all get sorted once the increasingly upward female population are placed in the position of having to support their husbands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

Seriously? wrote: »
    Don't worry I'm sure this will all get sorted once the increasingly upward female population are placed in the position of having to support their husbands.

Yeah I'm sure feminists can't wait for that kind of equality.

Only reason we have this culture of divorce is because we live in a time of plenty. For centuries men and women had to work together. Families had to stick together to survive. No way the average woman could afford to divorce her husband until comparatively recently. Now we live in a time of broken families, single mothers, boys growing up without father figures, men imprisoned for failing to pay alimony, men forced to pay for another man's child.

But hey, that's the price you pay for progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

There is no point getting married if you have assets.

A lot of people accumulate them afterwards though

Anyway, its only money, the older I get, the more I realise you're better off on your own with as few possessions as possible. If you do manage to accumulate a decent amount of assets and cash, the state just takes it all off you when it's nursing home / medications time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Mike747 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm sure feminists can't wait for that kind of equality.

Only reason we have this culture of divorce is because we live in a time of plenty. For centuries men and women had to work together. Families had to stick together to survive. No way the average woman could afford to divorce her husband until comparatively recently. Now we live in a time of broken families, single mothers, boys growing up without father figures, men imprisoned for failing to pay alimony, men forced to pay for another man's child.

But hey, that's the price you pay for progress!

I always found it funny how a lot of women were quite happy to abuse and take advantage of the divorce laws,you don't see that in the feminist cookbook,i also wonder how many men are telling that to the bottom of a pint glass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

He who dips the wick pays for the oil

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    He who dips the wick pays for the oil

Not if you dip your wick into someone elses oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Young lad I know ~ well, he's in his thirties now. But, I met him almost a decade hence and took him under my wing. I always told him: " Don't get f**king married!!! "

Wallop. In the space of the last year, he's met some girl. She's moved into his place. Dropped a kid.

Within a couple of months of that 'Happy Event'? He's using expressions to me like; " She's down her parents. Got the place to myself for the weekend!!! "

Last I saw of him; He's got his shed kitted out with computer and everything else a man needs. By the next time I get to see him? What's the betting he'll have a f**king bed in there?

2009? Living in parents home. 2010? Bought parents out. Swanning around whole home. 2013? Latched onto by a woman. 2014? Living in the f**king shed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement