Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Ireland copying the UK?

Options
  • 09-08-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

In September, the Junior Cert will be revamped. This will bring it more in line with the Uk's GCSE's, which, has been deemed a failure by many. The UK is currently in the process of changing from project based continuous assessment to the Irish style of exams while we are going the other way. Why do we feel the need to emulate a failure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

If only some of our radio and tv stars were pedophiles then we would be a carbon copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In September, the Junior Cert will be revamped. This will bring it more in line with the Uk's GCSE's, which, has been deemed a failure by many. The UK is currently in the process of changing from project based continuous assessment to the Irish style of exams while we are going the other way. Why do we feel the need to emulate a failure?

Because that's the way Ireland is...

- We inherited most of our laws and political/public system from the UK
    - We copy the rest from the EU
    - Occasionally we come up with something "radical" like the smoking ban

Most of the time though it's to make us feel like big boys and girls to our EU "friends", or as an excuse to bring in yet another tax/charge because "every other country does it"

We also usually give these things an "Irish twist" so that the original intent is completely altered or the thing becomes unenforceable anyway - like the changes to mobile use in cars recently,... NO you can't hold it and NO you can't send/receive/read emails or texts on it... BUT feel free to use Facebook, Twitter or whatever though!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭johnnyruane40

wazky wrote: »
    If only some of our radio and tv stars were pedophiles then we would be a carbon copy.

They probably are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

It's preparation for the impending invasion.

Karma is a bitch UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

They probably are

Just haven't been found out yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They probably are

Was just gonna say that.. how do we know they aren't?

Until 2 years ago (ish) no-one knew about Saville and the rest of them either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lord Arsraptor

While I agree that the current reform is a step backwards, if anything, I wouldn't be convinced that the happenings in the UK in terms of Second Level Education were really much of a consideration to Rúairí Quinn when he decided to reform the system.

I think the idea was to motivate students the whole way through the Junior cycle to focus on their quality of learning, as opposed to the current system (and we've all been through it) of switching off until third year, when we're finally motivated enough to work harder, but purely at a rote-learning level, and purely for our performance in the Exam.

I guess this reform might suit some students, but it isn't a necessary reform, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I must say; I prefer the system of exams and a project or two...especially in college. I recently returned (as a mature student) to college, and this business of 'out of five' per class business is horse ****. I like to "prove myself" at the end of the year, rather than getting marks for, essentially, just showing up and trying a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Is there anything to suggest we're copying them other than your idle speculation OP.

Yours Forever,
    Timmyctc

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Half Rhodesian

we copy their road signs too but if anyone asks i just say they copied us first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

9,000 years and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The junior cert means precisely jack sh1t anyway.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Is there anything to suggest we're copying them other than your idle speculation OP.

Yours Forever,
    Timmyctc

Getting rid of equality. Teachers will grade the work. This is quite similar to the inequality with GCSE assessment where there are lots of private exam assessors. This will eventually lead to the BS that happens in the Uk with regards to "better schools for better results". In Ireland atm every student is just a number which is better.

Project based work which will count for up to 60% of the final grade. This is what has been tried and failed in the UK. As I said they are changing back to the final exam way of assessing students

There are more and if you want you can check them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

It will be a failure no matter how we 'test' students.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It's preparation for the impending invasion.

Karma is a bitch UK.

Are we invading them or are they invading us ? Bearing in mind im steaming drunk your answer mig oh theres my Lee Enfield .............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

The worst thing we do is copy their lifestyle and spacial planning. The UK is a homogenous, bland, bore-fest, London aside. We seem to be rushing headlong to copy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

9,000 years and all that

Since the first humans colonised Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 paddy145

Someone in the UK could be saying exactly the same thing about themselves i.e they are copying a failed system which we are changing

paddy145 wrote: »
    Someone in the UK could be saying exactly the same thing about themselves i.e they are copying a failed system which we are changing

No, they are returning to the traditional system which they had pre 1986. In '86 they "revolutionised" education just like we are doing today! I could swear Ireland is in a time warp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

We should copy the Spartan education system, lets have an Agoge instead of the JC.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_ancient_Greece#Spartan_System

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Are we invading them or are they invading us ? Bearing in mind im steaming drunk your answer mig oh theres my Lee Enfield .............

We invade them Goddarm it. (we already have the sleeper cells waiting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Im not sure how much they can actually screw it up, its just the Junior Cert, its about as useful as an arts degree anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 selfstarter

Because Irish politicians have never had an origional thought in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

we copy their road signs too but if anyone asks i just say they copied us first

So its their bloody fault all our signs have Irish on them. The ****ers

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Half Rhodesian

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

KungPao wrote: »
    I must say; I prefer the system of exams and a project or two...especially in college. I recently returned (as a mature student) to college, and this business of 'out of five' per class business is horse ****. I like to "prove myself" at the end of the year, rather than getting marks for, essentially, just showing up and trying a bit.

I like the '40% for continuous assessment - 60% for an end of year exam' system a lot of places seem to have now. It allows for people who slack a bit for most of the year but cram successfully for exams to pass but not get really high marks that they don't deserve. The people who work throughout the year have more chance of being recognised.

I agree that marks should not be given for 'showing up' for things. That seems a bit ridiculous.

Advertisement