Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood lice are everywhere-any tips to get rid?

Options
  • 09-08-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

We seem to have lots of wood lice in the garden. Specifically around the patio, under flower pots, etc. There just appears to be loads of them any recommendations on how to get rid of them? They were getting in to the house but that appears to have stopped now.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,257 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have millions of them in the garden, every time you move something a host of them run. Well, scuttle. I don't think they are that big a problem really, they don't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They eat organic matter and break it down. Despite being called wood lice the aren't in any way detrimental to plants and trees, in fact they are the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Whatever about not damaging plants and trees they are sure making a feast of my fruit. They loved my strawberries (very easy to hide under the big leaves) and now are feasting on the low growing apples on my step-over Red Windsor tree. Pests they are!

I've found putting ant powder down under pots and places where you find them gathered works to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭SaceyFlynn13

Any tips on how to get rid of them from my home ? They are after rotten away my window to nothing and I find them everywhere, spare bedroom and kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 28,257 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Any tips on how to get rid of them from my home ? They are after rotten away my window to nothing and I find them everywhere, spare bedroom and kitchen

No, your window was rotten and they are eating it, not the other way round. If your house is dry there should not be any woodlice, they prefer slightly damp conditions.

We had a lot of woodlice in the house when we moved in, but as we have gradually improved the insulation and the heating now we get none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Donalde

They cause a lot of damage here, too (West Clare). They are slowly devouring my wooden greenhouses and they cause serious damage to strawberries, nectarines against a stone gable, tomatoes (low growing varieties), and even young seedlings, in Spring.
    Sorry, but I don't know of any cure. I can kill them by the thousand, but they'll be back within a week!
    Chemical treatments are unlikely to be of any help because of the quantities that would, probably be needed to have any effect.
    I wonder if they are the most populous insect in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Chickens will reduce woodlice populations very quickly.
    In saying that you will need to control the chickens as well or they can do as much or more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

As already mentioned woodlice do not eat sound wood. If the woodlice are eaten wood, it means the wood is already rotten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

You could take the presence of wood lice in significant numbers in or around wood as a warning that the wood is rotting and treat the rot not the wood lice. Its literally shooting the messenger killing the wood lice.

Gardening is about working with nature not seeking to destroy it. Lots of insects are beneficial to gardeners including wood lice. They have their place in the recycling process and in putting nutrients back into the soil. Please try to find out more about insects, what they eat how they can be of use in the garden etc before reaching for the insecticide.

Mostly if you see a lot of wood lice you need to do a good tidy up, clearing away or putting rotting wood and vegetation into the compost. A few wood lice under pots etc that dont bother you and you dont even see unless you move things are not a problem, its the outdoors, its nature.

Advertisement