Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel - Asked for Red Bull, got cheap replacement

Options
  • 09-08-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Was at a wedding recently in a well known hotel in Kilkenny and was amazed that they were serving the cheap replacement Red Bull (like the brands you would be for €1 in a shop) in the ball room of the reception and charging full whack for it as if they had given my proper Red Bull..

Now i know i could have gotten it in the outer bar but i specifically asked for Red Bull and they served me this, there was no Red Bull behind the counter only this replacement stuff

So its like they intentionally wanted to rip people off, is this common practice or has anyone came across this before?

Fuming with the hotel, even contacted them and they told me that if a wanted Red Bull that they would have got it for me (But what i asked for WAS Red Bull) also they ignored my point of charging full price for this stuff (so professional)

Will name and shame if allowed.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

where would it be near?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Your problems are small lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

Help!!!! wrote: »
    where would it be near?

Old Cattle Mart

userod wrote: »

Forum is titled 'Rip Off Ireland' - and this is a rip off so whats your prob?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭peter_dublin

Yep, lots of places do it, even got served ALDI Red Bull which is 2 euro for 6 and charged 4.65 for the pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

userod wrote: »

The difference is price isn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Was in a place last week that served only 1 can of red bull per 2 drinks. As in I order 4 vodkas and red bull and got 4 vodkas and 2 red bull. That was a bit cheeky considering how much they were charging! Thankfully I don't usually order those kinds of drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Kilkenny is rip-off central if you ask me! Most overpriced town in Ireland.

porsche959 wrote: »
    Kilkenny is rip-off central if you ask me! Most overpriced town in Ireland.

Super contribution to the thread buddy....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Have you contacted your local government representative about this obscenity being perpetrated on the good people of KilKenny and the people who visit, maybe rte can do a prime time on it in the autumn schedule !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NoelDoran wrote: »
    Will name and shame if allowed.........
    Not allowed, as without definite proof, you could get boards.ie into legal trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

It is a rip-off and it tastes rank....I know Redbull is not much better but if I asked for Heineken and I got Bud I'd give it back. Why should this be different?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Big Cheese wrote: »
    It is a rip-off and it tastes rank....I know Redbull is not much better but if I asked for Heineken and I got Bud I'd give it back. Why should this be different?

I drunk redbull and vodka all the time don't drink pints and most say it's very common and it bugs the crap out of me I drink it with red bull for the taste nor the effects I like red bull but when I get these cheap cans it's usually late in the night but boils my p%%s also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

It's your own fault for drinking red bull. Drink proper drinks in future to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Big Cheese wrote: »
    Id give both back and ask for a decent beer.
    burke027 wrote: »
    I drunk redbull and vodka all the time don't drink pints and most say it's very common and it bugs the crap out of me I drink it with red bull for the taste nor the effects I like red bull but when I get these cheap cans it's usually late in the night but boils p%%s also

Might be better to lay off it.

If it smells like a rip off then its most likely a rip off, register your dissatisfaction with the hotel, not that it will bother them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

This happened to me a couple of years ago when I went to see the village people (YMCA) when they played dublin. Was given a vodka with a can of "burn" crap imitation by coca-cola. I gave it back as it wasnt what I ordered. No arguement from barman. I understood he was only doing as told.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is one of the few threads where I do consider it to be a rip off, nothing to do with the price though, it could have been €20, the issue is not getting what he asked for.

If he paid €1 for a pint of beer and it came in a 500ml glass I would also call it a ripoff, as its not what he paid for, price not relevant to me.

The barman should tell him he has no redbull and only this and ask if its an OK substitute. This has always happened to me if I ask for coke and they only have pepsi.

Now you might say he could have refused it but many people would not have the nerve and do not want to be seen to be causing a fuss, esp. at a wedding. I think they know this and take advantage. Just like many pubs take advantage of the weird tradition of people point blank refusing to enquire about the price of drinks in pubs before ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

rubadub wrote: »
    Now you might say he could have refused it but many people would not have the nerve and do not want to be seen to be causing a fuss, esp. at a wedding. I think they know this and take advantage. Just like many pubs take advantage of the weird tradition of people point blank refusing to enquire about the price of drinks in pubs before ordering.

There's supposed to be a price list.

Although I usually find it difficult to spot.

There's supposed to be a price list.

The price list outside only has to list 16 items, there is supposed to be an extensive one kept inside.

Red bull would rarely be on the 16 item list
    A 16 item list of prices needs to be displayed prominently either inside or directly outside the entrance of the premises. The following is a list of 16 items that need to be displayed by publicans to comply with the order:

Pint (568 ml) of draught stout
    Pint (568ml) of draught ale
    Pint (568 ml) of draught lager
    Pint (568ml) of draught cider
    Bottle (330ml) of stout
    Bottle (330ml) of ale
    Bottle (330ml) of lager
    Bottle (330ml) of cider
    Measure (35.5ml) of whiskey
    Measure (35.5ml) of gin
    Measure (35.5ml) of vodka
    Bottle (200ml) of carbonated drink
    Bottle (200ml) of carbonated cola drink
    Bottle (113ml) of a mixer
    Bottle (250ml) of water
    A bottle (187ml) of wine
    Both the 16 item and the comprehensive list need to be clear and visible to customers. That means the price lists must be displayed in a prominent position where anyone could reasonably see them. The National Consumer Agency surveys licensed premises to ensure their compliance with the law. It can prosecute publicans and licensees who are found to be in breach of the Order.
    I have rarely ever seen a full one, its hard enough to see the one at the door. Only place I saw full ones were the likes of craft beeer pubs who have menus, but even then I don't think all spirits were on it, so I may never have actaully seen a full list. Conversely it would be very rare to go to a restaurant where they were actively hiding the menu/prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

If you would ask for shot of vodka you might have get Tesco Imperial vodka instead Finlandia, Absolute... Etc :-)

RickyWed wrote: »
    If you would ask for shot of vodka you might have get Tesco Imperial vodka instead Finlandia, Absolute... Etc :-)
    Yes, thats why many ask for vodka by name, as they do not want huzzar.

If you asked for absolut and they had none I would similarly expect them to ask if smirnoff or whatever is an OK substitute.

The OP did not ask for a generic sports/stimulant drink. Serving up an alternative cola when coke is requested would be more understandable/forgiveable, not red bull -I don't like the stuff myself but most people I know who do are not fans of the alternatives. -while most people I know would take pepsi if they had no coke, I expect a higher % would refuse a red bull knock off.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

did you take them to task over it? as you did not get the product you asked for and were charged for the more expensive variety you should have asked for a refund as you said they had red bull in the main bar why not ask them to get some for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Send it back and whatever spirit you have ordered with it back also. This is a common occurence and lounge staff, barpersons etc should be au fait by now and tell people before bringing the drinks/opening bottles,cans,etc.

Red Bull is the most common but I have ordered lucozade also and been brought a variety of other sh1te, such as Club Energize.

Advertisement