Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suits: does it get better?

Options
  • 09-08-2014 6:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

I thought Id best start this thread afresh than put it in the existing Suits one as a show that's been running for 4 years is bound to have spoilers aplenty.

This is my second time giving this a go as I like the look of the premise a lot. The first time I probably wasnt in the form for any TV so I put it down to that. Last night I got as far as episode 3 and I found it a bit better.

But does it get a lot better?

So far its very uneven for me. Does a fairly ok show become a great one?

No spoilers please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Dunno mate. I've never seen it.

Thanks for asking though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

QikBax wrote: »
    Dunno mate. I've never seen it.

Thanks for asking though.

No worries.

You win most insightful reply ever on the TV forum. Well done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

season 1 and 2 are pretty good, its not really a great show, like breaking bad or the sopranos, its more of a fun to watch kind of show, with a nice light hearted feel to it, but the last season or two i dont think it has been as good,

another show on the same network is Covert Affairs, its a spy show, it starts off kind like Suits, a decent dose of style over substance, but unlike suits it evolved into a much better drama show, and has gotten better year on year, and its now on season 5,

Do any interesting long story arcs kick in or is it mostly a "Case Of The Week" format?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Do any interesting long story arcs kick in or is it mostly a "Case Of The Week" format?

Long story arcs kick in. Spread over a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Yes it gets much better, in my opinion anyway.

Season 3 and 4 have been brilliant so far.

Having said that, if you're not liking season 1 maybe it's not for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

First season was great, second was good then they seemed to try and be more "worthy" and serious. Fun has definitely gone out of it, I don't bother with it any more.

the long story arcs ruined the show in my opinion, they just dragged the **** out of the whole thing, something that could have been done in 3 episodes was dragged out over 10, now i still watch it, dont get me wrong, but i thought the case of the week stuff in season 1 and 2 worked much better on the show,

Having said that, if you're not liking season 1 maybe it's not for you.

I'll give it 3-4 more episodes. Ive friends who cant praise it highly enough but so far I cant see what the fuss is about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Seasons 1-2 enjoyable enough, season 3 not so much. I'd keep watching for the anti-Hero turned surprising into an excellent character: Louis "You Just Got Litt Up!" Litt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It stays watchable but never really gets going. They've had chances to flip the script a bit but you could easily just watch only Louis and miss nothing. Big disappointment for what it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I was just wondering the same thing as the OP. I started it too and I thought it was "ok" but a few eps in and it hasn't grabbed me at all, certainly nothing that would justify the reputation this show has.
    Going from comments here I think I'm out!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If anything it get's progressively worse. The latter seasons 3 and 4 have the odd gems but mostly it's tepid. The show has an identity crisis. It doesn't know if it's serious or light hearted. Personally, preferred it when it was light hearted. Now, even those segments aren't really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Season 3 was awful in my opinion. Like mose 'case of the week' shows they've started introducing longer arcs and are focusing more on the relationships about which I could not give two shíts. I think the first two seasons did well at making the audience root for corporate lawyers but they're struggling now. I haven't decided whether to bother with season 4 but if I do it will be purely for the legend that is Louis Litt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I'll agree about season 3 being pretty poor.
    I lost interest in it then.

Season one was good as a typical introductory season.
    Season two is excellent. Daniel Hardman is great addition.

But by season 3 I get bored of hearing Mike say "Muthaflicka" and Harvey saying "our backs are against the wall".

Still, (and people will disagree here, but...) Meghan Markle is absolute sex!

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Season 3 was awful in my opinion. Like mose 'case of the week' shows they've started introducing longer arcs and are focusing more on the relationships about which I could not give two shíts. I think the first two seasons did well at making the audience root for corporate lawyers but they're struggling now. I haven't decided whether to bother with season 4 but if I do it will be purely for the legend that is Louis Litt
    season 4 to be fair has so far been better than season 3, no cat drama stuff, and louis is on fire, and his character is getting more rounded, its still not as good as the first 2 seasons, but is better than the 3rd so far,

Still, (and people will disagree here, but...) Meghan Markle is absolute sex!
    ill take your Rachel and raise you a Donna
    fajnc.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Watched a couple episodes at the start but the fact that the main character has a sick grandma who he needs to support turned me off.

A fairly cliched plot device

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't like the young fella much, thst girl is a drip, i love Donna, Harvey is fantastic and Louis is incredible. But it's not must watch TV. It's grand and all but I've never finished an episode and nearly burst from having to wait a week for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

I've been watching Season 4 and Rachel is to Suits as Lori is to Walking Dead which is a shame since she drags down Mike with him. Harvey, Donna and Louis is what is keeping this show together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I marathoned season 1, watched season 2 as it aired, watched season 3 within a week of the episode airing and decided not to bother with season 4. As has been said, it got too serious. Also was getting fed up with how Louis was always treated. And if they didn't set Harvey up as someone who never loses, maybe it could have a bit more tension in the cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

God I must be the only one who's actually enjoying Season 4!

Season 3 was great too from about midway onwards (when the long story arc starts)

Louis is hilarious, some of the things he has come out with :P

10457701_534712559984567_2762435260634346146_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I'm still watching the show and still enjoying it.Lucky for me i found the show nearly two years after it came out so i had the pleasure of binge watching both seasons.Its one of those sit back and enjoy type of shows and still one of the shows i most look forward to watching every week even when all the top shows were airing.

Season 1 and 2 i thought were excellent.I suppose the thing with season 3 was that the first half aired in 2013 and the other half in 2014 so it probably felt dragged out to most people.There is no doubt that the quality dropped in season 3 but imo season 4 has picked up.

I know the show is primarily based around Mike but tbh i find the other characters alot more interesting notably Harvey,Donna and Louis and Meghan Markle is just a ball of.... (well you know:p)

don ramo wrote: »
    ill take your Rachel and raise you a Donna
    fajnc.gif

Ok.

Two more chances/episodes it is so :cool:

I'm still watching the show and still enjoying it.Lucky for me i found the show nearly two years after it came out so i had the pleasure of binge watching both seasons.Its one of those sit back and enjoy type of shows and still one of the shows i most look forward to watching every week even when all the top shows were airing.

Season 1 and 2 i thought were excellent.I suppose the thing with season 3 was that the first half aired in 2013 and the other half in 2014 so it probably felt dragged out to most people.There is no doubt that the quality dropped in season 3 but imo season 4 has picked up.

I know the show is primarily based around Mike but tbh i find the other characters alot more interesting notably Harvey,Donna and Louis and Meghan Markle is just a ball of.... (well you know:p)

even the latter 6 episodes of season 3 were much better than the first 10 episode, it was really (Season 3)
    the hesington oil stuff
    that kind of ruined the show for me, i still finding it hard to get past that let down, the (season 4)
    investment banker
    stuff was a much better story, but the (season 4)
    rachel stuff
    kinda took away from it, and the fact that (Season 4)
    mike is still a frauds is wearing pretty thin 4 seasons in

Don slight favor, would you mind putting in parenthesis which season each spoiler is from. I ask cos I'm not up to date on four and so am very afraid to read the last three. :o

Turtwig wrote: »
    Don slight favor, would you mind putting in parenthesis which season each spoiler is from. I ask cos I'm not up to date on four and so am very afraid to read the last three. :o
    done, their probably valid up to the last 2 episodes,

Thanks a bundle!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

don ramo wrote: »
    even the latter 6 episodes of season 3 were much better than the first 10 episode, it was really (Season 3)
    the hesington oil stuff
    that kind of ruined the show for me, i still finding it hard to get past that let down, the (season 4)
    investment banker
    stuff was a much better story, but the (season 4)
    rachel stuff
    kinda took away from it, and the fact that (Season 4)
    mike is still a frauds is wearing pretty thin 4 seasons in

I agree,
    The hesington oil story was just tiring by the end of it.I'd had enough of Lady Stark in that year tbh:D. I thought with the investment banker direction, we would finally see the arse end of the constant cat and mouse of whether he was going to be caught out.Now that he's a lawyer again the same issue of him being a fraud is just going to come up again.i'd be very surprised if it gets renewed or if it did then maybe we might see a show without Mike which i think isnt a bad idea at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Spoilers in:
    Hessington oil is a waste of time
    . The whole investment banking thing is tiring me to the point of maybe giving up. I'll stick with it for the sake of Louis and Jessica.

If you want a law based story thats slightly more realistic and with a laugh or two thrown in then The Good Wife is the way to go.

Advertisement