Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance help?

Options
  • 09-08-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello, I was wondering if anybody would have an answer or have any info regarding rent allowance rates for a couple with one child renting in dublin city centre. I know the rate is 950 for a couple plus one child, but I dont know how much our contribution should be?

Also if we signed on the housing list with fingal county council as we used to live with parents in lusk, would we run into trouble when trying to rent in dublin city centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,821 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The limit is still 950, max. You cannot legally contribute to make it more. (Of course lots of people do, but it's fraud.) Not sure how much of the 950 you're expected to pay, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

No Pants wrote: »
    Can you rent in the city centre with rent allowance? I thought that such areas would be reserved for working people :confused:

Who said that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

You might wish it to be so from your narrow minded world view No Pants, but in reality anyone who wants to, regardless of status, can live in a City Centre.

OP as far as I know you pay 30ish Euro p.w ,per adult. So your contribution would be approx. 240e. Better double check that on threshold or citizens info though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The contribution varies from person to person depending on income and circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

zef wrote: »
    You might wish it to be so from your narrow minded world view No Pants, but in reality anyone who wants to, regardless of status, can live in a City Centre.
    Of course they should be able to, if they pay for it themselves. However, when they ask for others to subsidise their city centre living, it should not be facilitated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Of course they should be able to, if they pay for it themselves. However, when they ask for others to subsidise their city centre living, it should not be facilitated.

Why not? It's fine for RA people to live in the suburbs, but not the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Think the contribution is more like 40 quid a week from yourselves but to get the rent allowance you have to be on the council housing list already.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Why not? It's fine for RA people to live in the suburbs, but not the city?
    Cities need workers. Workers need to be close to where they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Cities need workers. Workers need to be close to where they work.

Not particularly. I worked in a city for years, while living in the suburbs. Commuting isn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Not particularly. I worked in a city for years, while living in the suburbs. Commuting isn't a big deal.

Good for you. The point being made is that there is higher demand for city apartments. Why shouldn't someone who is contributing to the exchequer not get preference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,821 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The whole point of the rent allowance cap is so that people who cannot afford to pay their own rent go into the cheaper housing, no matter where it is.

Cit centre rentals just happen to be too expensive at moment because short supply means that people who're time poor are willing to pay a lot for low quality places in a good location.

As have I. That's not a problem. I have an income and I have to live within that income. If that doesn't cover living in the centre of a city because the demand for such living space has pushed the price beyond my reach and it is therefore not available to me, that's fine. I understand that and will cut my cloth to suit. However, if I cannot obtain such a living space because it's currently occupied by someone else who cannot pay for it without me first paying the bill on their behalf, then something is wrong. I would argue that if you require RA, then you have no business living in the centre of any city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

.....seems to me this discussion is rather pointless as I'd imagine the chances of getting a 2 bed apartment for a family in Dublin city centre for 950 euro are remote at best. IF you managed to find something like that it's like the kind of place (in the kind of place) you couldn't pay me to live in....

(which for me personally would be pretty much all of Dublin city and county but that's another discussion altogether)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

950 p/m is an obscene amount to be handing out on Rent Allowance alone. I wonder how better off our public services and infrastructure would be if we weren't spending so much on RA.

It saddens me to think that the truly vulnerable in society have to suffer and make do with less just because some people feel entitled to live in the center of Dublin at the public's expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

This thread's going off topic and it's not fair on the OP who came here asking for advice.
    We've all got our own opinions on Rent Allowance but I don't think this thread's the right place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- answer or assist the OP.
    The next person who uses this thread as an opportunity to take a pot shot at the Rent-Allowance scheme, social welfare recipients- or anyone else- is getting a ban. This is your one and only warning.

Advertisement