Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toxikk - Taking FPS back to where it belongs

Options
  • 09-08-2014 2:10pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Yea the title of the game is cheesy but look at this game play and say it does not make you go "oh hell yes!". I'm getting a very much Unreal 3 / Quake arena vibe going and I'm loving it.

Best part for me though is the price tag; 15 USD!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

This could be a lot of fun alright. The devs are also promising to release an SDK so players can create their own maps. Definitely one to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Goodness, that looks like a larf. Consider me interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually looks quite a bit like Halo multiplayer with the vehicle action.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I thought it looked a lot more like UT3 than Halo tbh. Arena shooters always interest me, looking forward to seeing what comes of this, but with UT4 on its way, competition will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It would be interesting to see what they do with this. Its very hard to get an arena shooter right - it can come down to something as simple but as vague as how a game "feels" to manoeuvre and fight in.

I used to love UT, but UT 2003 destroyed everything fun and unique about CTF. Playing it felt like eating a beautiful cake made of ash. Maps felt small and clunky. Characters felt like large bulky, shaved gorillas (Gears of War influences I presume) and signature weapons/tools like the TL were gimped. Plus a host of useless gamemodes/types that served only to splinter the playerbase. UT 2004 and UT3 were just more of the same mediocrity, with added desperate attempts at appeasement thrown in.

I'm not liking the vehicles, but I guess they'll have game modes without them. If they can get the combat feeling loose and nimble, rather than slow, clunky and "tactical" it could be fun.

UT4 might be a threat, but only if they take pretty much everything from UT 2003 onwards and throw it into the trash, which they are unlikely to do. They seem very likely to stick to the clunky, shaved gorilla archetype they bravely pioneered for the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,253 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

so its a modern DirectX reskin of old games, basically.

I'm not exactly excited about it. Just being honest. Even the lack of Reloading, seriously, just seems dumb. Im open to being wrong, but it just seems like a retro step backward. NOT THAT IM NOT INTO THAT. I loved the **** out of Mega Man 9 and 10 so I don't want to be labeled a hypocrite, but it is nothing "new". However, it still has the potential to be a lot of fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A bit of a bump but this is going into early access on Steam on 22nd of Jan and the 25% discount through their website will go away. For those who've already bought it (such as myself) we'll get access to the closed beta on the same date.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Would be nice to have an Arena FPS back in popularity. While I enjoyed the early Halo entries and CoD titles, this constant FPs cycle of buy new iteration, level up, get more unlocks etc. is getting tedious.

Partially why I've had little interest in the latter CoD titles, I don't urge for them at release, and then I don't feel like getting my ass handed to me for a few days before I get some decent unlocks.

There HAS to be a market out there for an arena shooter, where it's entirely skill based, no unlocks or rubbish, and the time you invest is to simply get better, and to gain enjoyment from the game.

CSGO probably the only popular title like this around at the moment, and their unlocks and level up mechanisms are atleast for show, rather than match influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

shootmania?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Give Tribes Ascend a go if you havent already, awesome game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I watched Shootmania being played at a few pro events in 2013 and it just didn't seem to deliver at all. Tribes Ascend - a brilliant game - not an arena shooter though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dcully wrote: »
    Give Tribes Ascend a go if you havent already, awesome game.

I was curious about Tribes recently, as it was great when i played it at launch, but it seemed to have fallen off the map completely. Seems like HiRez totally ****ed it up though, and it's kind of dead these days. Shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kiith wrote: »
    I was curious about Tribes recently, as it was great when i played it at launch, but it seemed to have fallen off the map completely. Seems like HiRez totally ****ed it up though, and it's kind of dead these days. Shame.
    It's sadly standard HiRez; see for example Global Agenda (which was the game they did before Tribes; then they got Tribes and GA was dropped completely. Now they are working on GA2 and Tribes got dropped...)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shiminay wrote: »
    I watched Shootmania being played at a few pro events in 2013 and it just didn't seem to deliver at all. Tribes Ascend - a brilliant game - not an arena shooter though.

Played shootmania and as you said, ended up being a bit flat for me. Granted it was in beta, just didn't really seem the sort of thing I was after.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In my heart I'd love to think I could still be competitive at that kind of ulta-twitch shooter, but I know I'd just get my arse handed to me.

Watched a stream of this just now as its in early access now on steam, looks pretty good but onlyone map available so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You are better off having one or two refined, well made maps than 32 craptastic ones. I've always felt this.

Kirby wrote: »
    You are better off having one or two refined, well made maps than 32 craptastic ones. I've always felt this.

Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

just signed up for this and jumped into a few games. great fun. obviously limited at the minute to just 1 small map, but will be plenty more to come.

also: you can buy it cheaper using some of the game code websites

all in all, it looks promising

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Free on Steam for a week, kinda like a demo.

11.99 for a few days too.

• Advertisement

Downloading this now - the core game is free, not quite sure what the 'full' version grants but the developers say you won't be at a disadvantage playing the free version.

Just played a bit there. Very like Unreal Tournament - very smooth, looks slick, very fast paced. In fact, it's been so long since I played an arena shooter I'm pretty terrible at it. Free version doesn't have all the maps and you can't use the server browser, only the quick match function. But it's a lot of game for nothing even at that.

Advertisement