Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with transcriptions

Options
  • 09-08-2014 12:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for some help reading a couple of church records.

Firstly, what do you think George Grant's first christian name should read? It's the 12th line up on the left-hand page.

And secondly, I can make out all but the priests name for this marriage if anyone can make it out. It's the second one down on the right-hand page.
    October 22nd married George Grant a protestant to Jane Farrell they being previously married by ... ... .... protestant curate of St. Catherine's Parish Dublin

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I get pretty much the same as it's been transcribed - Glen.ly - no idea what the equivalent name would be. Maybe mangled Latin for something ?

for the second - the best fit from the Biography of Clergy is a Valentine Trenor, curate at St. Catherine's from 1826. which fits

the RC record has Revd. Mr. Trener

the St. Catherine's CofI marriage took place was 13th July

the RC pages seem to be headed Transfers ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

shanew wrote: »
    ...for the second - the best fit from the Biography of Clergy is a Valentine Trenor, curate at St. Catherine's from 1826. which fits
    That looks right.
    Just looking again and now I see that it's 'Rev' after the word 'by'. That had confused me.
    ...the RC pages seem to be headed Transfers ?

Forgive my ignorance but what does that mean?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    ..Forgive my ignorance but what does that mean?

no idea, just thought it was of interest, also it doesn't look like the main register and there only seems to be 4 pages.

maybe transfers from a notebook used by the P.P. for temporary notes that he meant to record in the main register, or for a chapel of ease ?

there are more records for the parish in a similar format and headed Transfers, and some have out of sequence dates - see here, left has marriages from Oct 1829 at the top, Oct 1827 lower down, etc. About two thirds down on the left there's a note that reads something like 'these are all the marriages to the Conclusion of the year 1829 - ...f.r.m..d[?] to be had to the transferred at the end of the book', a bit scrambled and I'm missing a word, but looks like these transfers relate to entries he was copying from another section of the book, or another book

• Advertisement

...maybe transfers from a notebook used by the P.P. for temporary notes that he meant to record in the main register, or for a chapel of ease ?

Makes sense. And very, very useful to have those notes present.
    Cheers Shane.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Firstly, what do you think George Grant's first christian name should read? It's the 12th line up on the left-hand page.

I think this may be Glenelg which is in Scotland.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement