Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffiths valuations maps key

Options
  • 09-08-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Just wondering can anybody confirm if the circled items on the map attached are houses and if these images are from the old OSI maps c. 1840's.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

look like houses to me - bear in mind that the maps on AskAboutIreland date from later than the primary valuation, so the buildings, site numbers and boundaries can be slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

any idea what year the maps are from that the askaboutireland website uses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

as far as I remember 1860s, but dont remember a source off hand

Have a look at the actual 1st edition maps for the same location on the OSI website and see if everything matches up ..

Another way, if the townland is not too large, is to work through the Griffith's data, and cross-match as much as you can to the AskAboutIreland map, to see if the two fit together - some area match up, but other you can find significant changes, e.g. properties merging after people left, buildings abandoned and dismantled, new building etc

Cheers, yeah I have cross referenced and it matches up pretty well, at the exact spot on the Griffiths map there is still a little house/cow shed today when driving by. Starting to think that is where my great great grandfather lived when he rented/farmed plot 3 in the valuation.

Anybody think the pic attached looks like houses that may have been used in the 1800's. I am guessing that would have been a likely size back then

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Have you checked the OSI map viewer? See http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0,10

If you use the OSI maps you can start with the present day version, then click on the historic maps to see what was on the same spot in the 1830-40s [first set of ordnance survey maps] and 1890s-1900s when the second set was done.

What's the name of the townland where your ancestors were living?

• Advertisement

Another tip in relation to the ruined house is to look at the 1911 census to see the description of the house - how many windows & rooms?

yeah I have looked at the OSI right back to the original maps and cross referenced it with later versions including the present version and the structure appears to be in roughly the same position with the newer houses added around it

The location is Farrangarode/farrengarode in castleconnor co Sligo, Michael Rape on the griffits valuation, he was my great great grandfather

An Andrew Reap is listed in the Tithe Applotments for Farrangarode in 1833: see http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587413/004587413_00354.pdf

Yeah have found him too, my theory is that he is Michael reape/rape father or uncle, as Michael Reape was living in Knockbrack before he married and then appears in Farrangarode in the Griffiths valuations and all the baptism certs for his children are knockbrandon which is in farrangarode. It appears that he moved there, also there are other reape families in knockbrack that I am trying to find a link that my grandfather used to talk about but unfortunately his memory is fading.

So many theories so little proof

Advertisement