Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking a festival tickets authenticity by scanning it in Ticket Master?

Options
  • 09-08-2014 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I've been on a search recently for an Electric Picnic and been having no luck so decided I might try grab a ticket off done deal or Gumtree but am very wary about getting a fake ticket. Anyone know if I were to buy a ticket and meet up with the seller at a Ticket Master outlet, is there a way the ticket can be scanned to check its authenticity? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

I've been on a search recently for an Electric Picnic and been having no luck so decided I might try grab a ticket off done deal or Gumtree but am very wary about getting a fake ticket. Anyone know if I were to buy a ticket and meet up with the seller at a Ticket Master outlet, is there a way the ticket can be scanned to check its authenticity? Thanks.

I don't believe Ticketmaster offer this service and even if they did it wouldn't really be able to detect if they're "fake" or not especially If they're a carbon copy of real tickets then they would scan through fine, if I was buying tickets from a third party I'd only purchase hard copy tickets and not printed ones, this gives you a little more security as they can't be copied as easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Hard copies aren't immune from being dodgy. Best to treat both types equally cautiously. Ticket master don't want to help other parties when it comes to secondary market sales so you're left with having to take a risk. I wrote this for toutless but it is relevant to buying via any site http://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?p=43#p43

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The danger with physical tickets is they can be reported not received, so whats ok today can be worthless tomorrow or even next month.

As for the print outs, dont go there! Absolutely nothing stopping someone pressing print TEN times, not to mention the photocopier method.....

If you do have to buy second hand, look for past history - FEEDBACK, watch out for new users with no feedback, watch out for talking to lots of people, suggests they could be scamming, obviously, if it looks a bargain - WHY is it a bargain?

Meet face to face if you can, promises to post are useless, go to their house, go in if you can, make sure they live there. Do not meet in a car park or petrol station.

Common sense really. Just reviewed Toasts post on toutless, good advice that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think for GAA all ireland tickets they were recommending you meet the person at a garda station, this is no guarantee whatsoever but would probably worry a scammer enough to say no way.

I have sold tickets on behalf of friends who pulled out of gigs, so as I was still going to the gig I would offer to meet outside and go up to the door with them and only hand over money once scanned by a bouncer and confirmed to be OK. Some did not bother doing this but it would have set their mind at ease.

Scam warning: Fans buying All-Ireland tickets urged to meet seller at garda station
    Published 21/09/2013 | 04:00

"Be cautious when buying anything online. If they have any suspicions at all, people should contact their local garda station and it will be fully investigated. And if they find they have been the victim of fraud they should immediately contact the gardai.

"We recommend buyers and sellers to meet in a public place like outside their local garda station," he said.

- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/scam-warning-fans-buying-allireland-tickets-urged-to-meet-seller-at-garda-station-29595064.html#sthash.jgkRqBwe.dpuf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement