Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying - solicitor leaves job

Options
  • 08-08-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

hi all, can I ask a question, I have just found out that my solicitor has left her job,. She was in the middle of the pre-contract enquiries with my house buy..... should I be worried, or will the office take care of my file. will this happen seamlessly. Am 3 months sale agreed and dont want any more hold ups (previous 2 mths hold up because of deeds in land registry office)... should this progress normally, its a small firm, very small firm,,, any thoughts, particularly from anyone that has experienced this, thanks inn advance..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Happened to me in London. Solicitor upped and left as we were about to exchange!!

I don't think it'll be too much of a showstopper. The firm should be able to complete the job, as they have the file. I'd get in touch and find out what the position is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She was in the middle of the pre-contract enquiries with my house buy...
    Have the firm double check her work, in case she got careless, or skipped anything as she knew she was leaving soon. I wouldn't assume the solicitor is very professional if you only found out about her departure after it had happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 marie rosanna

very good point, I had only been speaking to her the previous week and nothing was said, me thinks that the parting of ways was not planning perhaps. Am now also wondering if all the delays where valid. will defo get on this for monday., thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

hi all, can I ask a question, I have just found out that my solicitor has left her job,. She was in the middle of the pre-contract enquiries with my house buy..... should I be worried, or will the office take care of my file. will this happen seamlessly. Am 3 months sale agreed and dont want any more hold ups (previous 2 mths hold up because of deeds in land registry office)... should this progress normally, its a small firm, very small firm,,, any thoughts, particularly from anyone that has experienced this, thanks inn advance..

In same boat at moment due to maternity leave issue. Now on the third solicitor. The handover of files was fairly easy as the change was planned. The last few weeks of any sale can drag as they check every little detail. But thats what we pay them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    In same boat at moment due to maternity leave issue. Now on the third solicitor. The handover of files was fairly easy as the change was planned. The last few weeks of any sale can drag as they check every little detail. But thats what we pay them to do.

I'm glad someone else mentioned it. A PI case I had over 10 years ago got complicated when the very good female solicitor I had went on maternity leave and subsequently took a career break. I was left with another female solicitor, who was very greedy and wanted me to go through the high court with my case. I settled out of court and she managed to squeeze an extra 2k out of my settlement check to cover possible outstanding bills, which I " would most likely get back". A month later she tried to say that I owed 4.5k to the VHI. I was 19 and naive enough to sign over the 2k, but once bitten and all that, I told her where to go!

Since then, I have always used a male solicitor, as he won't take maternity leave and then just not return to work. Trust is also important. Don't want to get screwed over and all that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement