Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all Rock Bands.....

Options
  • 08-08-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Calling all Rock Bands/Rock Artists in the South East.

There will shortly be a monthly Rock Night starting in one of Wexford's best known pubs. It will feature live acts, 2 or three every month. Original and cover bands are welcome. Solo artists are also welcome. A full P.A. and sound man are provided, as is a drum kit, mics, cables etc. The PA is geared towards direct input, but amps can be miked if need be.

There is no cover charge, and to start, no payment for the bands. If it takes off, that will, hopefully, change. The only conditions are that you play for 30/45 minutes, and that you are rock orientated. ROCK ORIENTATED. Old school rock, new school rock, metal, grunge, whatever your flavour, as long as it's Rock.
    Location will not be made public as yet, we are still working on getting the whole thing finalised.

A facebook page will also be set up to handle the events, with details of who's playing and the like.
    So, if you are interested, or know of a band, or individual who would be interested, please let us know, by messaging, or posting to this post. Once we are up and running, we will post again, with venue, facebook details, and contact information.
    ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

You can rock on by yourself if you expect bands to play for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pjah71

Thanks for that Southtippbass,

I've been involved in music for a long time, so I've a good idea of what works, and what does not.

The reasons behind this are very simple.
    It can be hard for bands, or solo acts, starting to to get gigs beyond their local pub. Even harder if they want to play original music. And harder again if they are rock, or metal, orientated. This will give them a place to play, to meet other musicians, to make contacts, and pick up more gigs. A place to get their name out there. to get some exposure, some publicity.
    We're involved in something similar which caters to the singer songwriter type, run the same way in a different venue. No pay in, and no pay for the artists involved. We've a seven month waiting list. And we have established acts come and play. Because it is about them, and their music. Not about money.
    Any true artist or musician gets it, it's all about the music.
    As it stands, we have not done any real publicity, and we're already getting people asking to play. When we do publicise it, in the local papers, and on local radio, possibly Hotpress, and elsewhere, we expect it to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Mods ! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was of the understanding that there was a policy here on "Boards" where threads looking for bands to play for free, were forbidden. :confused:

I vaguely remember pro and con points being thrashed out, two and fro like in this thread, before the policy was adopted.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Mods ! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was of the understanding that there was a policy here on "Boards" where threads looking for bands to play for free, were forbidden. :confused:

I vaguely remember pro and con points being thrashed out, two and fro like in this thread, before the policy was adopted.

Clarification from the charter:
    It is strongly suggested you do not look here for bands to play for free. Exposure, experience, promoting their work or sell merchandise are all excuses to get musicians to work for free. You wouldn’t work for free, so why should a musician? We would recommend you contribute towards petrol or at least offer a round or two to the band.

We prefer if venues offer SOMETHING, but it aint against the rules. Bands that are looking for a fee will doubtfully supply this venue with music. But the venue have been honest and upfront.

No problems from me, but I'd hope they'd throw the band some money for petrol if they're driving to the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭LUZ

," no payment for the bands. If it takes off, that will, hopefully, change. "

if you dont have a cover charge from the start i dont see how this will change when youve built up a following, once you start putting up prices im pretty sure the punters wont come back. but who knows!! good luck with it, i like the idea of more rock gigs :) i dont agree with not paying bands though i think someone has to start giving bands/musicians/artists the respect they deserve with the hard work thats involved in running a band its nigh on impossible to make a career out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Rock fan

Sounds interesting !! we're a bunch of old school classic rock dudes just jamming for fun at the moment we dont really want to make a living out of it we're just playing for the craic we havent really be playing for that long but we're not sounding too bad playing pink floyd / creendence / beatles / blues etc etc. might be interested in playing a gig in a couple of months we would propbarly be able to do a 30 min gig even at the moment and we're based in north wexford south wicklow so yeah I,d be interested keep us posted on whats happening cheers and rock on !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cordragza

pjah71 wrote: »

As it stands, we have not done any real publicity, and we're already getting people asking to play. When we do publicise it, in the local papers, and on local radio, possibly Hotpress, and elsewhere, we expect it to fly.

You'll never have any issues getting people who want to play, getting anyone other than the bands to go to the gigs will be the challenge.

Ok, to answer all the above about payment......

The PA is provided free of charge, there is no cover charge for people to get in. The sound man provides his service free of charge. All the printing and promo work is being done and paid for by me. I'm not the venue owner, I'm a musician trying to get a venue up and running where bands can play their own material, or covers, whatever floats their boat. This is costing us money to put on. The venue owner is taking a gamble on this working, or not working. I am sorry for trying to establish a venue for bands to play in, and for providing the venue, the gear, and everything else for free.

And to be perfectly honest with ye all, for the amount of crap I am getting on Boards, I am thinking twice about doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 aidmul

Don't be discouraged by responses on this board, I think what your providing is great for up and coming bands, we had something like this in limerick and it went down a treat, I know musicians get offended with the whole playing for free but when I was a kid i would of loved to have this opportunity, if it does take off put a small cover charge on the door and share amongst the bands, by the way I am a paid musician and have been most of my life , so chin up and make it happen for the players that need this

Ok, to answer all the above about payment......

The PA is provided free of charge, there is no cover charge for people to get in. The sound man provides his service free of charge. All the printing and promo work is being done and paid for by me. I'm not the venue owner, I'm a musician trying to get a venue up and running where bands can play their own material, or covers, whatever floats their boat. This is costing us money to put on. The venue owner is taking a gamble on this working, or not working. I am sorry for trying to establish a venue for bands to play in, and for providing the venue, the gear, and everything else for free.

And to be perfectly honest with ye all, for the amount of crap I am getting on Boards, I am thinking twice about doing this.

You know how I feel about this already, but I take point on,

"The venue owner is taking a gamble on this working, or not working."

When there is no extra cost to a venue owner, there is no gamble. He's gambling with a free bet. Not exactly the same as putting your money where your mouth is!

• Advertisement

Thanks aidmul,

I'm a musician myself, and have been for over 20 years. I came close to making it with a previous band in the 90's, but it didn't quite happen.
    The main reason for doing this is that there is no where in Wexford for original bands to play, unless you are known. And unless you can play, you won't get known.
    The venue are taking a bit of a gamble on this working. If it does, they are willing to fire a few quid at the people playing, but we have to prove the thing works, and brings people in before they will do that. So I'm looking long term at this, as are a fair few others.
    I'm not sure a cover charge will work for original music. There will be a small cadre of people who will attend, but having no charge will hopefully attract passers by, so we are not relying solely on a dedicated few attending, who are willing to pay.
    I'm also hoping to attract people in other areas to do the same thing. We're calling ours WEX ROX, so why not a CORK ROX, LIMERICK ROX ETC, and make a circuit of of them. Have common artwork and such, which is already done, and have bands from say WEX ROX visit other venues, and vice versa.
    I know it's ambitious, but if you don't try, it won't happen.
    And if I don't do it, I'll still be complaining that there is nowhere to play.

Thanks again for your comments,

PJAH71.

ok Pappa Dolla,

I know where you're coming from. I'm a musician myself.
    And have been for a long time. I've gigged the length and breadth of Europe over the last 20 years. Trust me on this, to get paid for playing original music is hard. And the tighter people have drawn their belts, the harder it is.
    What I'm doing is providing a place for people to play, and get some recognition, their name in the paper, of on the local cable TV, or the local radio station.
    If you want to set up a place for people to play, and you will pay them for doing so, do it. And stop wasting my time and breaking my balls.Let me know when you get off your ass and done it, and I'll send you one, or all of the people, who have expressed an interest in playing.
    Pardon me for trying to do something to help get people out playing, and getting a place for them to do it.
    The venue owner will not pay people to play unless they attract more business.
    It's not rocket science. No extra money in the till, means no extra trade. No extra trade means they won't pay. Like the venue owner, I run my own business. And no business will shell out for anything unless it makes money.

This thread has completely derailed, as play for free threads tend to do.

Look.

I get it.

You're giving a service.

I get it.

What you have to understand is that if there's no risk to the barowner, it is not a gamble.

You're the one taking the gamble by putting so much effort in, which I applaud.

But the barowner is not doing this for the good of his health. He will make money off some people working for free.

As for this,
    If you want to set up a place for people to play, and you will pay them for doing so, do it. And stop wasting my time and breaking my balls.Let me know when you get off your ass and done it, and I'll send you one, or all of the people, who have expressed an interest in playing.

Knock that attitude on the head, or you'll be banned and this thread deleted. I've been polite, haven't "broken your balls" or anything else. You're just seeing that a lot of people think that way of getting people to play for free is a bad model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

If you & the venue want it to work you need to provide something more than music - Cheaper Alcohol
    The reason being the majority of bands/musicians that will play for free will be students, so the people coming to see the bands will be mainly students.
    For example a lot of pubs in my town sell Tuborg for 3.10 a pint. Decent pint for decent price.
    If the pub/venue stock 1-2 cheaper variety of beers they will also start getting the clientele in the rest of the month as well.

Hi Help!!!,

Not much in the way of Students in Wexford.
    I know most of the bands/artists around the area, and they are all on board, and will play, and help out however they can.
    We have approached a few breweries, and asked about running a promotion, concurrent with every time we run our gigs, still waiting to hear back. If it happens, it will draw people, which will increase the venue's revenue, which will mean the venue owner will be happy to pay the bands. Fingers crossed.
    Most of the original music played in Wexford is based around open mic type stuff, none of which charge at the door, nor pay the artists.
    Most of the pubs and clubs in the town will not have original music. And definitely not original rock music. Well, there is one, but getting a gig depends on wether or not you are related to the owner, by blood!
    I've run something similar before, in the U.K, when I moved over years back for work, so have a good idea of what to try, and how to push this. It worked very well, and got some people started into the business, it was the right thing, at the right time, in the right place. It might not work here, but I'd rather try and fail, than sit on my ass and not try. That being said, any constructive ideas or help will always be appreciated. It took off over there, so I'm hoping it will do the same here, and develop into something that helps get people into music, and gets them put playing, or listening to original stuff, not the same old covers. Toes crossed.

Regards

PJAH71

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

PJAH71 - I've been thinking of doing something along the same lines as you so I wish you all the best with it

Papa Dolla,

I'm not giving a service. I'm trying to get something up and running.
    I'll forward you some of the messages I've received, and you might understand why I'm being rather defensive. I've received what I can only call seriously offensive messages. I'm leaving them as they are, poor souls who take pot shots from the anonymity of the internet.
    I apologise if I offended you.
    I'm not insisting people play, again, I'm trying to get something up and running. The owner of the venue has agreed that if trade increases because of this, people will be payed. But if there's no increase in revenue, why should he pay? Would you pay for something that is not worth it? Granted we have to pay the shower who run the country, but you know what I mean. You wouldn't pay for for advertising if it didn't increase your trade. Nor a new TV if it didn't increase footfall. You don't pay for things that don't work. I don't advertise in the Golden Pages anymore, because it doesn't work anymore. The venue owner will not make money, unless people come to the gigs. So he won't make money just by the fact a band, or bands are playing.
    I know that it's a simple analogy, but the reasoning is the same.
    But, and this is a big but, and I speak from personal experience here, one gig will lead onto another, and another and so on. I know that is how it works because I've done it before, and am doing it again. Three years ago I started my current band. Year one we did unpaid gigs. Year two a few paid, mostly not. This year, mostly paid, because our name is getting out there. I'll still take unpaid gigs because it will lead to something, or someone else. That's how it works.
    I'm not going to tell you my previous band name, but I've been there, and made money playing music, and you have to start by getting your name out there. Granted it's different with the internet these days, but you still have to go out and play, and prove yourself in font of a crowd. That's what this is, a place to start proving yourself. A supportive crowd, whom you can hone your skills in front of.
    I've already passed on contact details I have to a number of people on Boards looking for gigs. And I'll do the same at the gigs I'm running. And I'll make more contacts at those gigs, and get more gigs, and pass on those details to anyone who asks. That's the whole idea. I'm not doing this for money, or kudos, or because I want my ass kissed. I'm doing it because I love music, and have done since I picked up a guitar when I was eight. And I want to get people who play the recognition they deserve, and get them out playing, and getting paid. I want their names in the local papers, and their pictures. And anyone whom I meet, I will help as much as I can, and point them at places they can play, and people who can help them further.
    If I could guarantee payment from the get go, I would love to pay people. But I can't. And when this does take off, and people are being paid, no one will be happier than I'll be.
    And you know what, when that happens, I still won't make a penny from this. And I'll still be spending my own money and time on it, keeping it going.

Slain,

P.

On the phone so can't do much, but if you ever receive an abusive pm, report it. Abuse of PMs is taken very seriously.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks Pappa Dolla,

I hope it works. I tend to ignore abuse, or react. I know both are wrong, before you say it.

P.

I think you've got a great idea there pjay , if I can help in future with a limerick version give me a buzz, its about time we started to pay back society and help out our younger musicians

• Advertisement

Hi aidmul, sent you a message. Did you receive it?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cvk

Best of luck with it. Great idea. I have been playing in original bands for quite a while. I expect nothing from the bar owner / anyone else , except a stage and sound engineer. You will get paid as an original band if and when you manage to have any sort of following, until then there is no chance of any original band getting paid. We played The Stables in Mullingar, we approached the owner and asked could be launch our music video, free in and no charge from us.... the bar owner gets a few bodies in the venue, we get to play our music and get our name out there.. everyone wins.. He agreed and we had quite a high turn out, he then offered us a paid slot. Keep up the good work, your only problem will be the amount of bands that want to play and sorting all that out.... Oh plus massive EGO's from bands with no following who will bring no one but expect to get paid. Post the FB page went you get it sorted, would defo be interested. This is needed all over the country... GOOD LUCK

Thanks cvk,

Hope you are still playing, and it's going well.
    Aye, we've had a massive response, plenty to allow us do a balanced sound over each night.
    And yes, the EGO. I know that problem very well. Everyone who has applied has been told the same thing, no ego, no strops, and no cliques. We have two house bands, one of which will be on standby every time we run. So any crap, and the house band plays instead. We hope to get a few like minded souls to sort of franchise the thing in other places.
    And if ye are ever down wexford way, let me know, we'd be glad to have ye play. Facebook is up and running, if you search for wex rox you'll find it, all black and yellow artwork.

Thanks for the support, comments and wishing us luck.

Hey pjay how goes it, ya I received your pm , hope your making head way with your project

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NightBlind

My band would be interested in this.
    I don't agree that the only bands that'll pay for free are students. If you're an originals band and you expect to get paid, you may as well stay at home, cos it just doesn't happen. I've been in a gigging originals band for 4 years and have yet to get paid unless we stumped up the cash to hire the venue ourselves. We just want our music heard and for people to enjoy it. Free beer is defo a plus but we make money from selling our CDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Thanks for the support, comments and wishing us luck.

Hey man, I fully support any venue/night/promotion that helps unsigned/diy bands to get theit music heard. Fair play to you.

PM on the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Murph996

Hi there just wondering if this took off and if so where and when? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stkeeley

Firstly let me say that I in no way wish to "break balls" or bully or disrespect anyone but I fundamentally disagree with what you are doing and saying here. why is it that only the humble musician is never to be speculated upon? what I mean to say is if this pub landlord wanted to upgrade the decor of his bar to entice new customers he would have to pay the decorator or designer or at least pay for materiala to do it himself. He couldn't say "I'll have to see if my new decor does in fact bring in new custom before I pay anyone" that would be preposterous. However when it comes to the musician, we are supposed to accept this line of thought. you have to speculate to accumulate and I think we as musicians should boycott these events and places. We train hard, over years to accumulate the ability to perform these shows and I for one think we deserve the same recompense as anyone else. as for originals, when was it decided that an artist was only of merit when his art is widely recognised? with regard to your comment that you played for free for over a year, you do realise how much you are de-valuing what should be a vibrant industry, given the talent I see all around me in this country. surely you realise that offering your services for free de-values all of us. I can't remember how many times I've not gotten a gig (especially in the local pub) because some of the local lads come down and play for pints. and as far as newbies are concerned, do we really hope to teach the up and comers that their art is of no value? I would urge all that are involved in the music industry in ireland at present to have both respect for others and self respect enough to demand a fair pay for a fair trade. I think we deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Exmnk

Advert : We are a small & casual restaurant downtown and we are looking for solo musicians to play in our restaurant to promote their work and sell their CD.This is not a daily job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get positive response. More Jazz, Rock, & smooth type music, around the world and mixed cultural music. Are you interested to promote your work? Please reply back ASAP.

A Musician's Reply: Happy new year! I am a musician with a big house looking for a restaurateur to come to my house to promote his/her restaurant by making dinner for me and my friends.This is not a daily job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get a positive response.More fine dining & exotic meals and mixed Ethnic Fusion cuisine. Are you interested to promote your restaurant?

• Advertisement
Advertisement