Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running route in Galway?

Options
  • 08-08-2014 12:03pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'll be in Galway next weekend and I'm looking for recommendations of a decent running route to do while I'm there.

Luckily, the training plan is asking for a shorter long run than normal that week, so I'd just need to do 8 miles / ~13km.

I'll be based close to Lough Atalia so ideally would like to do something from or close to there.

Would anyone know of a good route to follow in that area that won't have me dodging traffic or the like?

Would I be better off heading around the lake and out towards Oranmore, or into the city itself (maybe taking in a bit of on-the-go sight-seeing on Mutton Island while I was at it!)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lbucko

Head along the docks to the claddagh and turn left out towards south park and salthill prom. It's a nice run although the prom can get very busy especially later in the day. The causeway out to mutton island will add an extra mile in and is a nice run.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

lbucko wrote: »
    Head along the docks to the claddagh and turn left out towards south park and salthill prom. It's a nice run although the prom can get very busy especially later in the day. The causeway out to mutton island will add an extra mile in and is a nice run.

Excellent - looks like a very nice route alright.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Don't mind Mutton Island, it's a sewerage plant, with a very boring driveway to it. Pretty positive you're not allowed on the Island anyway, they wouldn't want the tourists to see the poor lads shovelling ****e into the bay.

Edit:
    Here's a 8 miler, you'll see it all
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/498114404

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Look up the galway bay half marathon and run a lap of that route . Features a trip to mutton island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Back section behind caravan park/driving range still cloaed off for repair after winter storms. .. will be another 2 weeks before completion according to one of the workers there few days ago..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks for the advice folks - I ended up running down the docks (not bothering with Mutton Island) and out to/through Salthill, and then back.

Lovely scenery - though the wind coming in made it a bit of a struggle at times!

Advertisement