Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What parts of my PC need replacing for a notable performance increase?

Options
  • 07-08-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey guys, I'll link my specs, I really just want to know if there's anything that's direly in need of an upgrade in terms of gaming performance. I don't want to be up with the high-end curb, just a bit behind will do nicely for me .

Specs:
    Processor: AMD FX 4100 quad core
    8gb of RAM 1333Mhz DDR3
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon R7 260X
    Power supply: 450w
    Motherboard: ga-78lmt-S2P

I use two monitors: 1. 1360x768 and 2. 1280x1024

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Well for gaming, the graphics card is the most important thing - however, that must surely be a new card? The 260X is a good midrange card, but might show signs of struggle at if you manage to use both monitors simultaneously in a game. For either of those monitors separately in a game, you should be fine.

I suppose the thing there that I would be most tempted to upgrade is the CPU. That's one of the older Bulldozer CPUs - I think I would go for something like an FX6300 (can be found for < €100) which are more efficient and have an extra pair of cores to work with. It looks to be compatible, but you might need a BIOS update before installing a new CPU.

Is the power supply of good quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Colonial

What parts of my PC need replacing for a notable performance increase? Reply to Thread

Its penis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Go to bed, Colonial, you've had a few too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Toopurple

You're right it is a new card, the power supply is mid-low quality from what I can tell, should I bother upgrading- is it worth the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Toopurple wrote: »
    Processor: AMD FX 4100 quad core
    8gb of RAM 1333Mhz DDR3
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon R7 260X
    Power supply: 450w
    Motherboard: ga-78lmt-S2P
    Although I would usually say Solid State Disk, but as you only have a 3Gb/s motherboard, and there's no room for a "6Gb/s PCIe to SATA Host Adapter" and slotting it into a free PCIE slot (the PCIe x1 doesn't count), it doesn't seem to be an option.

This takes your CPU, RAM, and GFX Card, and will support a 6GB\s SSD. It's €60. Your current motherboard is MATX, and this one is ATX, so about 6cm longer. You should check if your case can support it.

BF3 level loading times with the SSD difference was instead of getting in when the first flag is capped, and the game could be half over, to getting in before the countdown has finished. If you play any FPS games, a 6GB\s SSD will make gaming involve a lot less waiting.
    Toopurple wrote: »
    You're right it is a new card, the power supply is mid-low quality from what I can tell, should I bother upgrading- is it worth the price?
    Make and model of the PSU? Is it a good brand, or an OEM piece of muck (these are usually bad for your machine)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

260x is fine for those resolutions.

Fx4100 definitely needs an upgrade. It's a fairly poor CPU.

An SSD as above would be a good upgrade too. Even without a new board, still absolutely worth it on your current one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

For me an SSD. Also a decent full HD monitor would probably do wonders!

Advertisement