Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casting MKV/AAC files to chromecast.

Options
  • 07-08-2014 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any Android app that will send MKV files with AAC audio to a chromecast? The files are on my Nexus 7 (2012) which doesn't get the full screen casting update.

I've tried Localcast and Avia but no sound gets through, video is fine.

Plex won't work unless I have the server running on my laptop. The app won't find any media on the tablet.

MX Player doesn't have casting yet, incredibly, as it can play anything I throw at it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You could root and update your tablet to kitkat and then install the xda app Mirror Enabler on your phone. It enables screen mirroring to chromecast on devices not officially given mirroring yet by google.
    If you search you'll find it. I won't link given I've already had a rap on the knuckles here today.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Pique wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any Android app that will send MKV files with AAC audio to a chromecast? The files are on my Nexus 7 (2012) which doesn't get the full screen casting update.

I've tried Localcast and Avia but no sound gets through, video is fine.

Plex won't work unless I have the server running on my laptop. The app won't find any media on the tablet.

MX Player doesn't have casting yet, incredibly, as it can play anything I throw at it.

If you go into the plex settings of the app on your tablet there is an option to advertise as server.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

jester77 wrote: »
    If you go into the plex settings of the app on your tablet there is an option to advertise as server.

Did that and still no joy. Doesn't display any media on the tablet.
    Logged into my plex on my phone and it find my tablet but no media.
    Can't work out how to create a new media folder on my tablet to pick up the videos.

I have to say, the plex mobile app is so ****ing unfriendly. The settings are far too light and it's like they only want you to be able to set up the network once and that's it. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭corkie

You could root and update your tablet to kitkat and then install the xda app Mirror Enabler on your phone. It enables screen mirroring to chromecast on devices not officially given mirroring yet by google.
    If you search you'll find it. I won't link given I've already had a rap on the knuckles here today.:)

As Mirror Enabler is not an illegal app (or can't be used directly for illegal purposes), I don't see a problem with linking it.

It just an app that needs root permission, hopefully support for other devices will become available soon for devices that can't be rooted easily.

But your probably better off converting/transcoding your media to a supported format.

As the other Chromecast thread was closed, people should be reminded of the rules: -
    Mod Note: Given the nature of Chromecast, it is inevitable that discussion on streaming of illegally obtained movies/shows would appear in this thread. Rather than waste my time deleting/editing such posts and infracting people, I want to make it clear that this is strictly against forum, and indeed Boards, rules and from this moment on any further references to apps that are used for the download or streaming of pirated of illegal content will result in an immediate and permanent ban. This message has been copied to post #1.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Advertisement