Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteorological officer

Options
  • 07-08-2014 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

I know someone who has a degree in Earth Science, they are interested in applying for a meteorological officer position with MET eireann when advertised. Would it be a good idea for them to do a higher diploma in computers in the meantime to improve their chances of getting the position, do meteorological officers use computers much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I know someone who has a degree in Earth Science, they are interested in applying for a meteorological officer position with MET eireann when advertised. Would it be a good idea for them to do a higher diploma in computers in the meantime to improve their chances of getting the position, do meteorological officers use computers much?

Tbh a meteorological officer is the lowest position in Meteorology .

Would be best for he/she to go on a do a HD in a mathematical or physics area , a masters would be best. Then they would be able to apply for a more decent position , as in a trainee forecaster.

There isn't likely to be any positions with Met eireann in the next few years at least , trust me.

I myself am doing a HD in data analytics this year and then probably a masters in meteorology in england next year considering UCD's course is likely to be changed to Climate Science/ Renewable Energy after being postponed this year to two senior Met. lecturers retiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Iancar29 wrote: »

Would be best for he/she to go on a do a HD in a mathematical or physics area , a masters would be best. Then they would be able to apply for a more decent position , as in a trainee forecaster.

There isn't likely to be any positions with Met eireann in the next few years at least , trust me.

I myself am doing a HD in data analytics this year and then probably a masters in meteorology in england next year considering UCD's course is likely to be changed to Climate Science/ Renewable Energy after being postponed this year to two senior Met. lecturers retiring.
    Cheers so the diploma in data analytics would be a better option. Good luck with your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Iancar29 wrote: »

I didn't realise the course was postponed Ian, that's terrible timing for you, sorry to hear that.

Careers in meteorology in Ireland are almost non existent at the moment for Grads, more options in the UK but can be very competitive as I am currently finding out !

I didn't realise the course was postponed Ian, that's terrible timing for you, sorry to hear that.

Careers in meteorology in Ireland are almost non existent at the moment for Grads, more options in the UK but can be very competitive as I am currently finding out !

Yeah I was onto Conor Sweeney about it , he was the one who told me it didnt look likely to go ahead in September , then the head of the school of maths emailed me a few days later to confirm that it was due to return the following year but probably changed slightly.

Ah sure i'll get there in the end . I know someone also applying for stuff in England , very competitive indeed by the sound of things.

I even applied for the trainee position for a lightning detection scientist for the laugh . Sadly i didnt get it due to my " lack of experience " ....

now WHERE did i put all those selfie lightning shots from america... hmmmm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

As far as I know a Meteorological Officer is equivalent to an Executive Officer in the General Civil Servants. Met Eireann is part of the Department of the Environment, and like most Government Departments it has been badly hit by the recruitment restrictions of recent years.
    There have been organisational reviews in many parts of the Civil Service, including Met Eireann and there may be some movement on filling gaps in the next 12 months or so,
    The Met Officer grade is one of the 2 technical/scientific recruitment grades in Met Eireann and there are a number if promotional grades arising directly from it as well as the opportunity to transfer across into the Meteorologist grade when competitions arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

One would assume Met Eireann positions (if any ever come up) would be advertised on www.publicjobs.ie and on their own website.

I think you can register for job alerts on publicjobs.ie for different categories of jobs, so I would assume Meteorological is in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

If someone got a meteorological officer position, would doing this lead to a possible promotion in forecasting?

http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates/weather-forecasting-certificate/overview

The simple answer is yes but you would likely be only one of many candidates, internally and externally, with a wide range of relevant qualifications, probably including PhD's.

If really interested you would do well to check that any course you might be considering is acceptable as a qualification in meteorology.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Who is retiring from UCD?

Ray Bates and Peter Lynch are now retired.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Wow, they were the core of the center when I was there

• Advertisement

Wow, they were the core of the center when I was there

Yep , had Peter lynch myself for 2 years , great guy . Knew his stuff inside out... loved the odd joke here and there too.

Advertisement